Rough water in a XB2003

xb2003

Alright guys...How do most of ya'll handled rough water? I'm talking true three and four footers? I don't have a hydraulic plate.

brotherxb03

Well if you don't have a hydralic plate you can't let the motor down. And as far as 4 ft waves I don't care what bass boat your in if your running against the waves it isn't going to be a ride you like. I can run in 3ft waves with the wind no problem. and I have been running against 4ft waves and no matter how you take them you will be in for a rough ride.

chad202

What I do, is only bump the trim up a couple times and just cruise at around 3500-4000 rpm. No need beating up the boat or yourself if you don't have to.

JR

Rough Water

When forced into really rough water [Lake George during a storm], I have found my Grandsport does the best at 24 MPH GPS since the nose rises and the waves are split by the pad at the rear of the hull. We usually end up with a few other boats / jet skis following us for the calmer wake we produce. Any faster and the nose "Spears" and slower, it gets knocked off of plane by the collisions.
JR

xb2003

I guess I just try to go too fast. The nose spears when I try to plow through them and I get my ass spanked when trimmed up to keep the nose up.....Or maybe I just expect too much. Seen them tritons and skeeters just blasting through them and never missing a beat.

jimmyb

depending on the wave spacing (closer is better for this) you can get up on the wave tops and run. Sometimes going faster is better than going slower, cause if you go slow, you fall into the troughs. However, true 4' waves you aint gonna be able to do this. Your best bet is to then surf the waves or try to go across to sheltered shore so you can run. You were smart in buying an allison, so be smart in running the waves. It is amazing how many guys i have out run by thinking about the wind and waves then running across to the opposite shoreline, while the other guys go out and beat themselves up by heading straight for the spot

fishnfireman

When it gets so rough that there is no way to keep from spearing waves except to quarter the big ones.
Thats when a good prop (the smaller pitch the better) and a hydraulic jack plate are a must.
It becomes a matter of timing and throttle. It can almost be fun with a 280 and a small prop that will bite and jump.
For years people talked about "lowering the jack plate" when it gets rough.
That's great --- until it gets ROUGH.
When it gets to the point you start spearing waves no matter what speed.
That's when you need to raise the motor as high on the plate as it will go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY because it drops the stern and RAISES the bow...
I used to get so Pi$$$d when it got big time rough and those 22 ft Skeeters and Rangers would just walk off and leave everyone. Not anymore.
Last spring we had a bad wind hit about noon during a tournament. Within 15 minutes itwas blowing a steady 35 mph. A lot of us were over 20 miles from the ramp. By weigh in they clocked some 52 mph gusts at the boat ramp.. We did not get passed coming in. and were about the dryest team on the ramp. There were several boats that got swamped.. It was ugly..

Going from bank to bank is good unless it's 10 miles across, then you have to start thinking about running out of gas..

froggy

I have found that this kind of situation is best handled if you have the least amount of setback possible. With our 14" setback distances our center of gravity is way too far back to allow good control in the big stuff. My XTB 21 had only a 4" offset and even the four footers were not a huge problem. With the lesser setback the boat didn't beat you or spear, it was just trim and go.

Now I have an XB 2003 with 14.5" of setback, that I just changed to 9". If I can get it to lift (haven't run it since the change), I'll give up some top end for the rough water help I'll get as well as the loss of backwash.

froggy

badbait

I agree with you Froggy. I'm at 9'' on my 2003 and I'm going to try 6 inches. Can't really compare mine with yours since I'm running a 250 XS. Let me know how yours runs with 9" when you get a chance to test it. If you can get your nose to lift at 9" I should be able to get mine to lift at 6" with that 535lb. motor I'm running.
Another way for you guys who run that rough stuff is to put a ballest tank in the nose when you know your going to be running in some really sloppy water. I was an observer on a 28' Warlock in a Ski Race out in the San Francisco Bay some years back. The water was so rough we were only running 35 mph and getting the hell pounded out of us. A little 21' Super Boat went by us at close to 50 mph. After the race I made it a point to go over and take a look at his setup. He had what appeared to be a 30 to 40 gallon ballest tank in the nose. He said he was running wide open with that ballest tank full and that boat was cutting right through that stuff. He had his setup so he could fill or drain it on the fly. Needless to say he won the outboard divison. After meeting this guy I noticed that he also won the outboard division of the Catalina Ski Race 4 years in a row.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
That front ballast stuff is true, I had my 03 out in the delta recently and loaded up front with all sorts of stuff and we cut right through some unexpected rough water (about 3 ft caps) much better than it does when lightly loaded.

Blue Gray in PA

I usually come in when it gets that rough but I'm not in a tournament either. I guess I could fill the front livewell (XTB-21) to gain front ballast when that happens but tournament guys would already have that filled if they have it in their boat. Good tips for how to get through the rough stuff though.

fishnfireman

The ballast thing must work pretty good !
I just never thought of it that way.

Normaly on a two day tournament I will pre-fish at least two days and some times more. I start out with a decent amount of tackle upfront.
But no matter how hard I try it seems to get added to every day. By the last day it would not supprise me if there was up to 100 pounds of tackle and gear in the front. Maybe thats why it runs slower but smmoooother
after a week of fishing.

Also the XTB-21 was hands down better in ROUGH water than a 2003.
The reports on the new 21 claim it will be as good if not better than the old 21. There is no doubt the extra length and depth will make it better.

RedAllison

I have NEVER had a bassboat pass me in rough water, make and size be damned! :wink:

And if I am fishing you can bet I have my typical 150#s of tackle under the nose (talkin actual #s to, I weighed it). I to agree that it seems to ride better with the gearcase "somewhere in the middle" than raised all the way up or down.

As for the ride of the 21, NEVER BEFORE has anything with a trolling motor on the bow ridden like these boats. I can only imagine the new 21 BasSport Pro riding better simply because the seats are 2' farther back and the closer you get too the transom the better the ride is (that is the least moving part of the boat in rough water). As for fish in the front livewell of older boats, that's a good way to kill a days catch. They were really made more for convenience than effectiveness. On a rough run the fish in the front livewell are gonna get tossed around ALOT and probably injured or killed. But sure the space should make a GREAT ballast tank.

SET DA DAYUM HOOK,
RA

RedAllison

lol fire, I mean it! I just smile and my partners wave as we go by the BIG boys. But in all honesty that happens constantly, whether it's rough or not we gonna go by em if we already aren't in front of them! :p

Trimmer up Scottie,
RA

jimmyb

I can honestly say that I have never put in a fish in the front livewell of my XTB... not only would it beat the fish up, but I would hate to add the extra weight (except for maybe running rough water)

Blue Gray in PA

The way fishing has been here in Pgh, PA lately, I haven't put any in either livewell lately :) but I still think it would make a good ballast tank. Just so long as I remember to remove the wet lifejackets from it first or it will overflow really quick since I plugged the outlets to keep them from filling with water when I back off the trailer. Thanks to Bill Freitag for that tip since I was getting ready to change both drain valves because I thought they were leaking.