Rookie- Set-up

AliNorth

I have wanted an Allison since I read about them in 1998. Up north where the water turns hard we have no Allison dealers and I had never seen an allison only heard tale of one or two in existance. Well the dream came true I recently purchased an XB2002 with a stock 175 omc from a TV fish guy who imported it. I appreciate the info on the chat line, It has been very, very helpful. Can't wait to learn how to drive it and then move up to a big merc. I believe the current set up needs some attention what should the motor height be on a stock 97 175 omc, it has does not have a nose cone or low water pick-up? The current prop is a 4 blade 27 inch. The boat seems to get right up on the pad (light feeling) only when I trim way up but the water pressure drops to only 5psi. ?

Skywagon

Welcome to the Allison Board! Where in Canada are you? There are some Canadian Allison guys in the Winnepeg area FYI. Also, there is a huge allison following in Minnesota. I've dealt with quite a few of them and they are great guys.

I'm assuming that your 5psi, without sounding too obvious, is due to the fact that you don't have a low water pickup/nose cone. You are probably over trimming too. With proper set back, prop shaft height and balance, Allisons like to run with near neutral trim.

What set back, prop shaft height etc. are you running? Pictures of your lower unit would help.

Bill

AliNorth

Thanks for your reply! The set back is 9 inches a stock Allison plate. the Motor is about 1 inch below the pad. I have set the motor pretty close to parallel and I will mark the trim gauge and keep the trim close to this mark. I'm located a couple hours north east of Toronto in Ontario.

Stace

Allinorth you wouldn't be near Pigeon lake would ya? If so I'll be up there in sept. with my xb2003 tryin' to get it some muskie slime on the hull to make it faster :lol: Like to see your boat if you live close enough to Pigeon. Stace

froggy

AliNorth,

Your lower unit should have some water pickup holes on each side (I'm not too familiar with OMC's). Some folks plug off the upper water holes, say 1/3 to 1/2 of them with small allen screws (these are reversible if one wants to go back to 100% stock). By doing this you will be able to run higher on the transom and still keep good water pressure (eliminates air being sucked in in lieu of water).

You shouldn't have to worry about blowout until you are at about 78 MPH. If you are close to this proceed with caution.

froggy

AliNorth

Sounds like I should return my empties and get a nose cone and low water pick-up. I will talk to the local omc guy and check out Froggy's suggestion. Thanks
Stace I actually live on Chemong lake which is attached to Pigeon lake. Keep in touch and we can get together when you come up. I can direct you to a few good muskie holes.

vcrash

Welcome alinorth, Actually there are a few of us up here, 5 that i know of all in thjis area and you are actually only 1 hour from an allison dealer, The dealer is port sandfield marine in port sandfield, You wont find much support there though as they cater to the wealthy wakeboarders and only the owner of the marina has any experiance with them, Most of everything you need to know you will learn on here, These guys are great and really know there stuff, I almost sold mine cause i couldnt drive her but with help from here and about 30 hours seat time i can hit the rev limiter any time and she feels great, i run merc so i cant help ya much with omc setup, however prop shaft height , and balance were my to stumbling blocks, once i spent the time and had those perfect she was very easy to drive! Good luck
vcrash

Stace

AliNorth, been on chemong also, I'll get back with ya when we get reservations confirmed. We usually stay at Pigeon lake resort but wouldn't mind staying somewhere on buckhorn if the rest of the party would agree. I'll let ya know. Talk later Stace

Speedman

HEy is that the white one on the canda fishin show on the outdoor life network? seen it many times, looks just like mine only I have a suckier job! what did you pay for her ( in US dollars).

AliNorth

Yes it was the boat from the TV show. At least I know it can catch fish. Picked up a gps and went for another ride. I NEED HELP!. Hit a unbelievable top speed of 64mph. Trimed up to the netural postion and the water pressure dropped to 5 psi. Present set up 9 inch set back stock lower unit 1 inch below pad. I guess I should lower the motor? At certain times the boat would kind of fall off the pad wallow side to side, so I would slow down? This is probably inexperience. Seems to run better with a passenger behind me. Any sugestions!!

Skywagon

With out seeing your set up and lower unit, I would suggest lowering your engine and inch an then trying it again. Ofcourse, 2 inches below the pad is not at all optimum, but it will get the job done until you can get a nose cone. It's a lot of drag but I have run over 94 mph at 1.5 inches low(with a bunch of horse power though). Lower it an inch and see what the water pressure does.

Also, the "falling off to the side" is just, as you said, your inexperinece--don't sweat it. That is what you will eventually learn how to counter steer to correct for. There are tons of driving tips on this site but, it comes down to seat time. Don't try to drive through it though, that will just end up getting you wet. Take it slow and be safe. My best suggestion is to find a local, experienced ally guy and have him ride with you to give you tips. It took me about 3 months to go from 65 MPH to 95. That's actually considered a pretty fast learning curve in some circles.

Bill

flatout

Hey Allynorth,, Thats Italo's boat! I know him a bit and he definitely needed some setup tips. I live in Ottawa and I have an XB2003T with a 225 ProMax (ok the hood says 150) so shoot me! Your boat is sure pretty but to make it go you should trade in the anchor(omc) for a merc. Also get a hydraulic jack plate so you can experiment with different transom heights. The OMC needs to have low water pickups to get it up where you can make some speed. Remember resist the urge to sell it until you have burned at least 50 gallons of gas. :shock: I nearly cried the day I bought mine cause I thought it was undrivable. Today I waved at a chick on a seadoo as i passed her doing 85. Scared the hell out of her cause she was probly doin 70 and thought she was flyin. Allison boats not only go fast on the water, they look fast erven on the trailer! Your boat was never driven hard cause Italo is a bit of a wuss when it comes to drivin fast. Thats three allisons in Ontario that i know of now. i was up on Lake Clear last summer in the middle of nowhere, west of eganville and lo and behold another allison, a 2002 came up to where i was fishin. A blue one i think. We were the only two boats on the lake. Man it looked pretty. If you make it up to ottawa i will take you out and we can see if i can set her up for you.
Im rambling a bit so good luck and i will catch you later...
Howard Gifford~~~~~>=/">

catchmybomb

Hey Allynorth just wondering if you had any interest going to the rally? I'm in Hamilton Ont.

brotherxb03

I know the stock water pickup won1t cut it. I have a bob's sportsman which is for bass fishing and has holes on both the top and bottom of the nose and I really need to close up the top holes because running even with pad is border line for me depending on the wheel I am running. Any higher with certin wheels my water pressure will drop.

AliNorth

Ok, dropped the motor now I have water pressure. Next is to learn how to drive, It nice to know that there is light at the end of the (wobble) tunnel. I will keep burning up gas until I get the hang of the missle. My plan is to leave the stock omc (anchor) on the boat untill the training wheels fall off then move up to a big black merc.
Horward thanks for the offer at some point time permitting I would like to drop up and see you. I would like to see a xb2003 in person. Yes it was Italio's boat he is nice guy, he was to give me a driving leason but because timing and weather it has not happened.
Catchmybomb. My present situation a very limited amount of free time as I started a two year course. It is eating up all my spare time. The rally is certainly on my future to do list.
I have a line up of people even a few hot chicks that want to go for a ride but I can't really get it up (on the pad) Can't wait to get through the learning curve. I tried to correct the steering back an forth but at times it made it worse. talked to speed boater the other day he said to do a constant slight left turn to straighten the side to side wobble out. Any other steering tips?

brotherxb03

A 24 pitch thru hub prop will make it easier to learn. But if you can't get the prop shaft close to even with the pad it still is tuff. Just remember run a level trim,don't trim like you are in a regular bass boat.