River levels

Ocktane

We've been getting a lot of rain over here in Memphis and along with that the old muddy Mississippi is HIGH. Is the Tennessee river in good shape out there? We aren't going to have another year like it was two summers ago are we? Hopefully not, I haven't heard anything about the river flooding. I was just curious.

RedAllison

I spent Fri-Sun on the river (between Perryville & the diving board around the corner from Clifton beach there across the river from the "grass beach" we used for a couple of days 2yrs ago. The grass beach was 4-5ft above the waterline so we're still fine) & it's only about 2ft above normal pool. TVA pulled water HARD all 3days & should have it back around normal by mid-week. There was no big logs or rootballs floating in the river but there was still quite a few limbs, driftwood & other "prop dingers" here & there.

GotMyAlly

Pickwick is not any higher than usual for this time of year. On the 3 day forecast, the inflow into pickwick is tapering off, but the outflow is ramping up. That tells me it is proably about to stabilize. All the water that is coming through is generating electricity....the flood gates are not open.

Ocktane

Looking at the river gauge at Savannah and judging by what ya'll just said it looks like we should be ok I hope.

GotMyAlly

The lake jumped 2' almost overnight. It's about 1' over normal summer pool right now. Looks like it will crest tomorrow at about 1.5' above normal summer pool. Flood gates are still not open. They're just running 4+ generators around the clock. That limits the amount of water they are dumping down the river. As long as they don't open the flood gates, I don't think we'll see more than a foot or two more water than usual.

allisonriverrat

Hopefully its.good Saturday... Cause there will be several on water Saturday this year. If I get my work done.... I be out on water tomorrow

Ocktane

I hope it comes down a little. I just remember how horrible the mosquitoes were that close to the trees two years ago!!