Right prop needed

Steve Melton

I have just bought a used XB21 and need some help on getting it propped right for the way I will be using the boat. I will be mainly fishing but still want to be out in front of the pack when it comes to blast off! Right now it has a Mazco 26 pitch 4 blade and the hole shot is sluggish and just not satisfied with how the boat is handling with this prop. It has 1:1.62 gear ratio.
If anyone is running an XB 21 w/250XS Sport and has any suggestions, I'm all ears! I know I'm new to this boat but I have driven a couple performance boats in the past but none have given me the trouble of getting it under control quite like this one.
If anyone is interested in trading props just let me know what you have and we will see what we can come up with, thanks!

Last edited:

skewby

what 21 did you get? prosport, 2+2 or the basssport? the bravo xs is a pretty good starting point, i run a 27 and 28. my best speeds come from a 28 promax that has all the allison mods from robbie patterson. i like it for about everything. it spools up a lil more at break over than my bravos but it carries the boat well and drives easier

GotMyAlly

What gear ratio are you running?
27" or 28" Hydromotive X-OB is perfect for 1.62 gears. If you've got 1.75's, set it up an inch.

Steve Melton

I'm sorry, I should have said that it was a Bassport. I'm trying to find out what gear ratio the lower unit is but the previous owner hasn't been much help so far. I really don't think he has any idea what I'm asking but my fingers are crossed and hoping for the best. Thanks for the information so far and if I do find out the gears I will definitely post it on here for more helpful information. It has 1.62 gears.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

Drop the lower unit, turn the propshaft 1 complete rotation, and count the revolutions of the driveshaft. Or i bet a merc shop could look it up by s/n.

skewby

if you take the lower off i'm pretty sure beside the water pump housing its stamped or cast into the housing either 1.62 or 1.75

JWolff

Most everybody runs bravo xs's or hydromotive xob's. There is some experimentimg going on with other props but these 2 are the norm.

Do you have power poles? That will also effect your pitch choice.

gmorgan

if you take the lower off i'm pretty sure beside the water pump housing its stamped or cast into the housing either 1.62 or 1.75
Why drop the lower unit? Cant you just turn the flywheel and count the revolutions of the prop?

hooken203

Why drop the lower unit? Cant you just turn the flywheel and count the revolutions of the prop?
Yes mark the prop to gear case. Mark the flywheel turn the flywheel until the prop makes one revolution count the flywheel if its 1 3/4 turn you know you got 1.75 if it less then you have 1.62

skewby

now you know for sure. i run a 225 and don't have any problems being able to turn 27and 28 bravo's with my 1.62 gears. bowling bought his new bassport last year with a 225 and darris suggested a 28 bravo. he's a true tourny fisherman 36 volt troller and loaded, he's been very pleased.

Tim Powell

With a heavily loaded 2 seater/250/1.62s I'd go with a 26 Hydromotive X-O/B, if you want a little more top end go with a 27 X-O/B. The 28 will be too stiff in the summer time, it'll only turn around 5800. The 27 should turn right at 6000 in the summer.

The 28 Promax runs well too, I ran a friends 2 seater/250/1.62s to 89 in 100 degree air @ 5800 rpm. But the holeshot won't be as good as the X-O/B.

Another friend just had Todd build him a 26 x-o/b to learn with....the engine only has 5 hours on it but it's a rocket out of the hole. I expect it to top our around 82-84.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

I might know where a cherry 26" X-OB can be had if you want to go that route and save a little money on a used one. I guarantee it's been ran less than half a dozen times.

Steve Melton

I might know where a cherry 26" X-OB can be had if you want to go that route and save a little money on a used one. I guarantee it's been ran less than half a dozen times.
I
I'm interested. I just read your post, I've been away from home and didn't get a chance to look at posts until this morning.