Restoration of 1964 Coolcat Allison

andymac

Probationary User
Hello everyone,

I have a 1964 Coolcat, and it is suffering from dry rot. The fiberglass is cracked where the wood should be supporting the boat.

Has anyone restored one of these? If so, how was it done? Does anyone have any pictures of what this boat looked originally?

Thanks.

andymac

Probationary User
Front view:

Rear view:

Crack by the driver seat:

Crack by rear seat:

Note: The wood supports throughout the boat are suffering from dry rot.

Last edited:

andymac

Probationary User
Hey guys,

The restoration of this boat is (finally) done. Here are comparison shots:

Original front view:

Restored front view:

Restored rear view:

Restored side view:

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the restoration!

22R

Boat and motor look great. Why did you change from the original color ? I prefer red myself but just wondering. Did you use paint or gel ? Is that three bike seats behind the two bucket seats ?
Looks like a great ride. How fat does it run ?

Thanks for the pics

22R

andymac

Probationary User
The color is polyurethane paint and I chose red because I didn't really like the white and blue scheme it originally had. Those 3 seats may look sort of out of place because they were pushed too far forward and yeah they're sort of like big plushy bike seats but are actually made for boats (iboats.com).

As for the speed, I can't be sure how fast it's actually going since the speedometer pressure unit that hangs in the water to measure the speed comes out of the water when the boat is trimmed up. Right before it comes out of the water it's at about 50 mph. I'm going to try using my iPhone to measure the speed via GPS. I'll post the results.