remove deck carpet

HAS ANYONE EVER REMOVED THE DECK CARPET FORE AND AFT ON A 2003XB AND BUFFED OUT THE GLASS TO MATCH THE COLOR ON THE REST OF THE BOAT.

THANKS, CLEAN UNDERWEAR

gmorgan

I have removed and replaced carpet on my boat. The front deck is not the same quality finish as the outside of the boat. In other words, you can see small squarese that are made by the supporting underlayment. It isn't bad looking but just different. The glue is very difficult to remove completely so that you have a totally consistent color pattern. The best I have seen is when a gentleman used xylene to remove the old glue. His removal of the glue was the best I've seen. Of course, you then have the issue of the five deck lids being made from aluminum. On my boat, the factory had machine sanded the finish off the lids to get the glue to stick better. That won't look nice without some enhancement.

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Mine had also been sanded and had lots of scratches in the gel. I think they sanded it to give the carpet glue something to stick to.

David chris corr

they look good from a distance,but i'm going with some type of liner on mine,carpet is out for me,and I fish mostly,so good grip and quick cleanup is what i'm looking for,,prolly Kiwi Grip in light gray

BigCountryx

I was quoted about 2 grand for seadec with me doing the removal of old carpet and glue, as well as doing any touchup of areas that will be visible after the seadek install that used to be covered with carpet..... I called Bill and ordered a carpet kit lol.

Mrbuck50

SeaDek will send you a kit to make your own patterns. Send them back and they cut them based on your patterns. Liability is on you. For one color you are looking at about $1k. That 2 color pattern will run you an additional $800. It comes with 3M adhesive backing. I considered it for my XTB.........may still go with one color. What I looked at was buying their sheet material and cutting my own patterns. buying it by the sheet will end up costing me around $800 all in. Still pondering that scenario.