Race riots in Memphis, here we go again!!!

RedAllison

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllll just when you think we are all united, all Americans, all content and together to fight the "evildoers", who decides to raise his fugly head and who must need some publicity and who needs to shakedown the latest group for his own pockets and well being?

There is a movement going on in Memphis, TN right now whereby a group of "south haters" are demanding that the 3 historical confederate parks in the city of Memphis, TN are raised and renamed. The 3 parks are Confederate Park, Nathan Bedford Forrest Park and of course Jefferson Davis Park. All three are in Memphis proper and most are over 100 years old. NOW a group of African Americans have been calling for the parks to be destroyed as we know them and of course renamed too their preference.

Our City Council has ducked the issue by claiming when they gave control of the Parks Dept too the Mayors office that it is basically his problem. The Mayor who is in for the political fight of his life right now and is facing illegitimacy problems with other women and realizes he wont be re-elected, now he came out yesterday with a press conference and said that he was going to give the parks too the Univ. of Tenn. Talk about passing the buck!

BUT to top it all off, the "Reverend Al Sharpton" has planned a march in the city (visiting each park) next week. No word yet on whether extra police support will be offered as obviously there is a GROUNDSWELL of high emotions, anger and support by many wishing to protect our southern heritage and who have said they will "BE THERE FACE TOO FACE"!!!

Ya gotta love Memphis, it's always alot of fun. The city is broke, they are trying like hell to FORCE the "rich county folk" to pay for everything and whenever things don't go according too the "innercity fathers" wishes, well the race card is always played, the cops showup and another chapter in the history books about Memphis still being "old south" is written. THIS time however it's much bigger than even I think the black leaders have realized or planned for. It could get NASTY nextweek when Sharpton comes into town. There's already plans for alot of out of state supporters and "defenders" planning on coming into town next week for a showdown.

I think someone on the radio said it best, "Sharpton better be wearing kevlar"!!!
RA

GotMyAlly

Before you know it, those three parks will be Leroy park, Terrence park, and Terrell park.

This next week is gonna be interesting for sure. I've noticed that everybody is scared to put their foot down on this issue. If you fight it, you're automatically labelled a racist.

You going to the river this weekend?

J

John Richied

I have no idea what is all involved here and probably shouldn’t comment, but…

If you were walking in or enjoying any of these three parks, would it really matter what name they called them?

There just has to be something better to fight over, however I have a solution fer ya all. :wink:

You can call the south side of the parks the original name, the north side the new name and draw a line down the center and everyone stays on there appropriate side… Now if the terrorist decide to blow the park up you all better be on the same side cause as far as they are concerned we are all Americans… at least they got that part right!

RedAllison

lol John I wish it were that easy. We are talking about legal precidence here. The parks (City property) are actually listed on The National Historical Register which in most other cases would STRICTLY make them "hands off" for anyother attempt to cease their existence. The Nathan Bedford Forrest Park is actually a cemetary and is the burial site of Forrest himself. All three of them are in downtown Memphis and have been around for over 100yrs. The mayor is doing his damndest to keep a racewar out of his city, the war machines are in transit over this one already however. Mayor Herenton is vowing to turn the Forrest Park over too it's neighbor, the Univ. of Tenn Medical system which will likely turn it into a parking lot or put buildings on it. The other two parks are being offered too a downtown development/preservation organization which wants to keep them "as is" for scenery and beautification reasons. All of this of course is pending legal clearance by city attorneys and City Council approval, yet remember they already tried to sidestep this hot potato when they handed off the responsibility claim too the Mayor's office.

But in the meantime, here comes Sharpton. I also heard he was quoted as already being in contact with Atlanta and Jessie Jackson regarding the matter. But I know Jackson is to much of a chickenshit to touch this one right now. He was on that balcony when MLK got assassinated there in 68. I suspect he is gonna watch the fallout from his TV in Atlanta and THEN make a decision as too how much effort he is willing to put into the situation.

It's a freakin mess I tell ya, man the local airwaves down here are ALIVE and BUZZING with calls for protest and travel too the parks for direct conflict with Sharptons' groups nextweek. It's kinda like a trainwreck, you know you wanna watch but you don't wanna see the blood and violence!

It's gonna be 1968 allover, but this time the roles are reversed so who knows what will happen and who is gonna protect who? :roll:
RA

jerryingeorgia

When did Jesse move to Atlanta? I thought he lived in Chicago.

Where does your future Senator Harold Ford stand on this issue...I think he was in Knoxville protesting Oak Ridge this weekend.

hack02

>>Ain't politics grand?
>>
>>Jesse Jackson's New Staff Member
>>
>>Mel Reynolds
>>
>>Jessie Jackson has added former Chicago Democrat Congressman Mel Reynolds
>>to Rainbow/PUSH Coalition's payroll. Reynolds was among the 176 criminals
>>excused in President Clinton's last-minute forgiveness spree. Reynolds
>>received a commutation of his six-and-a-half-year federal sentence for 15
>>convictions of wire fraud, bank fraud and lies to the Federal Election
>>Commission. He is more notorious, however, for concurrently serving five
>>years for sleeping with an underage campaign volunteer.
>>
>>This is a first in American politics: An ex-congressman who had sex with a
>>subordinate... won clemency from a president who had sex with a
>>subordinate... then was hired by a clergyman who had sex with a=20
>>subordinate.
>>His new job?
>>
>>Ready for this??
>>
>>*********YOUTH COUNSELOR********
>>
>>IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT?