Protective Head Gear

HO

Looking for feedback on what is worthwhile and what is not.

I used to use a helmet with a face shield during cold weather and couldn't believe I had gone that long without it.

What do you use or have found useless?

champ198

To be blunt, I have found the fish-hedz mask useless for serious winter/cold weather running.

I fished a BFL tournament in March several years back. It was below freezing at blast off. Two problems: 1.) my fish-hedz mask got condensation on the inside of the lens from my breath that was trapped by my hood and balaclava while waiting for blastoff. The condensation froze on the inside of the lens during blastoff. I couldn't see while running. 2.) I got too cold running down lake. My gloves weren't protecting my hands and wind was coming up under my fish-hedz mask.

I almost passed out at the first stop because I was losing body temp too fast. I decided then and there that I would never be too cold during a winter boat run and that I would never have a helmet or mask that would get fogged or block my vision.

I have the BRP Modular 2 snowmobile helmet for cold weather running. I got it off ebay. It was expensive but I believe it will provide excellent cold weather protection for high speed running.

The Modular 2 helmet has a breath mask that diverts air to the outside as well as controllable vents to allow small amounts of air to circulate. It also has a fold down sun visor. The front of the helmet tilts up and well as the main visor lens.

http://www.brp.com/en-US/Products/SkiDoo/RidingGear/Product.htm?ProductID=445935&category=HelmetAccessoryModular

West Coast Bull

Lou ..could you start a product review on high speed head gear ?
1 glasses
2 Goggles
3 Sports Utility Mask (save phace)
4 full helmet
5 jet fighter capsule
6 :help

What I was getting it with this is now that I have to wear prescription glasses and they don't fit as good as a good pair of sun glasses. would glasses fit under the Fish Head mask and is a helmet just to much in the summer ?

GFinch

Hey Left Coast Bull,
I took the eye glass people a Hobey frame and they made the prescription lenses to fit them. They are the ones I wear in the boat. Astigmatism.
A word of wisdom here. Make sure to use CROAKIES or like and those better fit TIGHT to the frames. I now secure them with a couple wraps of fishing line so they won't come off the glasses.
Why,.......... I turned around at speed and the glasses came off and the croakies stayed around my neck. :help

whipper

my Okleys dont fit under my helmut but i have a more contoured pair that does. i would take your helmut to the eye glass store and find a pair that will and use them just for when you were your helmut. Mine has vents and isnt to bad for 100deg weather for blast but take it off otherwise. Cold weather its the cat meow! no Im not gay because I said that cat thing!!