Prop recommendations XB21 w/power poles

twsykes

Hi Guys, Looking for suggestions on a prop for XB21 2 seater with power poles. Can you guys suggest what your running with speed with this type of setup. I have a 250 ProXS with a sport master gear case and i have dual power poles. Right now the boat came with a 26 Lab ET Lightning 48-8M0006666 and a Turbo TXP-OT4 26P. The Turbo I got up to about 82.5 Med load. I am in the market for some props to try but would love you suggestions. Thanks

JWolff

1.62 gears?

The standard for 21's is either the hydromotive XOB or Bravo XS with Robbie mods. As far as speed for normal 21's (not including freaks like Tim Powell) and conservative set ups with 250's you are looking at low 90s when trying for speed. But power poles subtract 4 mph per Lee Sanderson and the Pro is the slowest of the 21's so ready to fish for an average driver with an avg 21 I bet you are looking at high 80's set up to fish with your poles. Probably a 27p prop for that. From much reading on here it seems that the Hydro is a pitch stiffer than the Bravo. So a 27 Hydro would run similar to a 28 Bravo XS, again assuming 1.62 gears.

I have a 28 XOB for my 2+2 with 1.62 gears and never run light. I am more concerned with holeshot than top end and I wish I would have gotten the 27 for my needs.

twsykes

Awesome info! Now to find those props...LOL. If anyone has the Hyrdromotive 27 XOB or the 28 Bravo XS please let me know. I may part or swap my two props as well. They are 26 Lab ET Lightning 48-8M0006666 and a Turbo TXP-OT4 26P

Last edited:

JWolff

If not buying new be careful what you buy, especially with the hydro. Most people buy hydros custom built to their boat and that could be real bad performance wise on yours.
A few people on here have set ups similar to yours. They should be along shortly to give more info.

Tim Powell

If you have 1.62 gears a 26-27 Hydromotive X-O/B is hard to beat.

Todd may be out due to recent surgery but his dad Thom should be able to fix you up.

Hydromotive Engineering - (330) 425-4266

twsykes

So do you think a XB 21 with poles could turn a 28 Bravo with Robbies mods and still get out of the hole decent? Right now with a 26 TXP-OT4 or the 26 Lightening ET lab the boat sometimes comes out of the hole well and sometime not which seems odd... so now I really wonder if it would turn the 28 Bravo or the 27 Hyrdo. Thanks guys

JWolff

What do you fish? Small water with lots of stop and go hole jumping or do you run 30+ miles at a time? That will help you decide whether to lean towards the tall side or stay smaller.

twsykes

Well......I do fish tournaments or use to (just now getting back into them) but I love speed. Not a good answer I guess. I could get two props maybe....

According to Lee S today it seems the 1.7 gears are what most use to turn bigger wheels to get out of the hole instead of the 1.62 and I have the 1.62. From what I hear the 1.62 may be faster up top but the hole shot is not as good. Now this is with the poles tho. :(

Last edited:

JWolff

The 1.62 vs 1.75 debate is long standing. Dont worry about that. You have 1.62's, nothing you can do about it. Move on and get the prop that works for your set up.
Did you talk to Lee on the phone or do you live close enough to drive to his place? If you are that close I would go Bravo just because of having them in your back pocket to help make it right and even possibly ride in your boat to make it perfect. Also, just go with whatever size he tells you and leave smiling. Done.

GotMyAlly

There's plenty who will disagree on 1.75's over 1.62's. Several have made the change from 1.75 to 1.62 and been happy with the conversion. Adjust properly with pitch and it will get out of the hole.

Tim Powell

A 26-27 Hydromotive X-O/B would make a good fishin prop with 1.62s w/ poles.

If you fish short lakes, I would go with a smaller pitch. If you make long runs go with a bigger pitch. Small being a 26 and bigger being a 28. The Hydromotive will be true to pitch and the bravo will be light on pitch (easier to turn).

twsykes

Thanks Tim! thats the one thing I have not been able to do is to turn up either of my props for several mile runs. The fastest I have seen my boat so far is 82.5 but thats in a mile or a little more. Really short runs basically and with 26P props. Hole shot is good on both but other props are on the way. I may take my boat to lake Norman (any lake norman Ally guys?) tomorrow and see how it does on a long run. Can I expect a couple more MPH when stretched out? I am sure that depends on prop.

The other thing I am wondering about is what to expect when inching up the CMC a little at a time. From what I gather I should be looking for water pressure drop (so far i have at least 25 PSI) at even pad (sport master) and for an increase in RMP as I inch up the CMC. What symptoms am I looking for that I have went too far or is that dependent upon the prop ear?

Thanks guys!