Prop recommendations for xb2002 with a 280

John Richied

Trophy props DO NOT BELONG on a XB2002... a 28 Real ET is an excellent choice. This post is almost a year old, did you get the driving down?

Lotus 50

I've had great experience with Hoss props on my SS2000, but also pretty good rides with Trohpies. What makes the Trophy unsuitable for a 2002?

dubmoney

If a person has a 280 on their xb2002, it is a machine capable of 110 mph. While, a Trophy may have nice manners and easy to drive at,.... shall we say normal bass boat speeds, once you get the hang of an over hub prop, I doubt you will even want a trophy taking up space in your garage. There are so many chopper/ET cuts that are fun to play with. The four blade prop I would recommend if you are really have trouble would be the Hydromotive OT. It is an over through, so creates some of the stability from the barrel, but has the capability of running fully surfaced at speeds over 100, but I don't know if I would recommend it. I know Jared Bolton runs over 100 with his on an xb03. I say buy a new 28ET and just get some seat time, it is after all one of the best things about owning an Allison...... becoming one with the boat and motor, the skill level of some drivers is amazing. Neil Wong has had his for over 15 years, and he does things in his boat I may never do, but to him it is just another day on the lake.

Lotus 50

It's possible I drank the Hoss koolaid:
Hoss Hyperdrive 26, 14.5 dia, great prop on the Virage I had before my SS2000, not enough pitch for the SS
Hoss Triton 31, 14.5 dia, fastest prop with my 150XR4, sold it when I went fatshaft
Hoss Triton 30, 14.5 dia, on the bottom of our lake with my old CLE propshaft. After that I switched to fatshaft...
Hoss Triton 28, 14.5" dia, blades look thinned, bought used this winter for my 200XS

I've taken a worked 28 Trophy up to 90 and it ran on a string as they say. That was with a 225 PM. 90 is about as fast as I want to go.

dubmoney

I have never run a Hoss, but I would like to. There are too many posts and people who love them to dismiss them. If I had unlimited prop purchasing money I would give them a try. My experience has been unlike anyone else, and I believe every Allison owner makes decisions about props and set up based upon the information and people near them that influence their decisions. I started with a OMC SRX, it ran fine, took me to 94 mph. It slipped more than I thought was normal coming out of the hole and to be honest I haven't really had a prop that was "too hard drive" Probably because, I have always run three blades for top end and just expected to drive but the effort in. I did run my brothers, 25 trophy and it was like using a mud tire on a Ferrari, I never even stepped on the throttle to find out anything, just knew it wasn't the prop I wanted. I like Mazco RE3 but it is 3mph slower then the two 28Et that I have owned. The 28 chopper ran 1 mph slower than the RE3, but to be fair the chopper is a more robust prop and if worked should be able to run with the RE3. Rich Junker with Leading Edge Propeller, reportedly cuts a chopper to ET style and has resulted in speeds above 110 on and Xb2003 which is unbelievable to me if I didn't have gps pictures, and I do. All this to say the XB2002 is a slightly different animal than the xb2003. I know John Richied well and he has a very fast xb2002. His advice is good. There is another guy, Nate Park in Texas that is turning very good numbers in an xb2002, I would listen to his advice if he ever chimes in, he is more active on facebook. The last thing I will mention is that I believe you can buy several props with identical manufacturer, model and pitch and each will run some what different, and occasionally you will find one that runs much better. Again, spend more time on the water, you will get to know every little detail of your boat, 1/16 of an inch in engine height makes a differnce, .005 of the lip makes a difference, 5 lbs of weight in the port locker makes a difference. Water temp and air temp makes a difference.

chad202

I’ve run 2 hoss props. One hyperdrive on my 03 and a 31 triton recently on my 02. Didn’t like either. I currently fish with 24 eagle ET and my big prop is a 28 RL cut. I’ll cry if this prop ever breaks. It was the best prop on my 03 and 02.

gmorgan

I’ve run 2 hoss props. One hyperdrive on my 03 and a 31 triton recently on my 02. Didn’t like either. I currently fish with 24 eagle ET and my big prop is a 28 RL cut. I’ll cry if this prop ever breaks. It was the best prop on my 03 and 02.
Ditto on the 28 RL on my 2003.