ProMax Timing

scott mann

Taking the rig to the mechanic on Friday...Seems like I've lost some power on the top end. I'm gonna' have him check the timing. He is pretty skittish about workin' on a ProMax. What is the timing setting for the 225 ProMax? Is it the same as a 200 efi? Also, any other checks he should make that might affect top end power?
Thanks,
Scott Mann

scott mann

ProMax

By the way, it is a '96 with Rapair's ModVP ECU curve.
Thanks again,
Scott Mann

J

John Richied

I can’t tell you what the problem is but I seriously doubt it’s a timing problem. If the timing was off (not fully advanced) to 25 degrees B.T.D.C. then you would still reach the same top speed… it just wouldn’t have the punch to get you there.

scott mann

timing

Not to kick a dead horse, but.....I had my timing checked on my '96 ProMax (20"). The mechanic put the timing light on the engine at the ramp (backed in the water at 3,000 rpms in gear) said "it is 28, it needs to be 32". So, he adjusted it to read 32 degrees BTDC (at 3000 rpms). Again, he didn't disconnect any modules or anything, is this procedure correct? Everything I hear is that 25 degrees is maximum timing. What gives?
The only mods I have is the re-programmed ECU from Rapair (Mod VP3 profile) and a different exhaust tuner (with relief holes in mid)
Thanks in advance,
Scott Mann

J

John Richied

Jay Smith gives the following instructions for setting proper timing on a 2.5

"Insert a dial indicator in # 1 plug hole ( V-6 is located Starbord side top )and rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE (with all plugs out) till you establish 0 mark the flywheel adjacent to a stationary pointer . After you've establish O turn the crankshaft COUNTER CLOCK WISE till the dial indicator reads .150" then mark the flywheel at the point where the pointer is dead nuts adjacent to the stationary pointer again that is 25 degrees. ( . 170" is 27 degrees ) Remove your dial indicator then reincert #1 plug and attach plug plug wire then ground all the rest of the plug wires ( I use a coil tester instead of grounding to the block ) attach your timing light on # 1 plug which is screwed in the block, rotate with the starter WITH THE TIMING ARM IN THE LOCKED WIDE OPEN POSITION AT TOTAL TIMING till the spark plug fires and indicates. If timing needs to be adjusted loosen the 7/16 jam nut in the top side of the timing arm and adjust philips headed screw till itswhere you want at WIDE OPEN TIMING( fully advanced ) repeat till it's dead nuts. Also make sure if you have an advancer type timing light it is on 0." (28)