Plug reading

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will not be an accurate reading as far as a high speed jetting type of thing. It is more of a general hohw teh motor is running look at things.

whipper

I'm very curious to know how you do a correct plug read on an Allison? The only way to get a true plug reading on any engine is to run up to speed and cut the power instantly "which will get you hurt in an Allison" and pull plugs for the inspection without starting again. If you start and idle back to ramp and on trailer you just killed an accurate plug read.
haha thats what I was thinking when I was setting up my acu doing plug reads. I found though I could kill the motor at 80 and just glide to a stop. Did it ill bet you 100 times over the course of two years setting up different things. Then you tilt the motor back and can access the plugs quite easily on the water to pull them. Set up and balanced there shouldn't be an issue with hooking.:beer:

Probably a lot different though with out a ratcheting gear case mind you. Prop makes a difference also. I always used the same prop for every test when testing anything. Something in the average pitch i would usually run.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

If you kill the motor at any rpm if it's sustained for a while... like mine was fouling down low at 3 grand or so... you can generally tell if a cylinder is wet or hitting like it should. My experience anyway...

Glad my issues seem to be resolved thus far anyway.

Another perfect day today... Much better.

Last edited: