Other option than basketballs

allimax

image.jpeg image.jpeg Had these laying around and decided to see how they would work. Standard Allison 14.5" with skid. Why didn't I try this years ago. Needs a custom aluminum top plate now.

gmorgan

so far this has worked well for me. Tons of flotation. This is a 65 cm exercise ball. A 55 cm would be maybe a better fit, but I couldn't get one in the right color. They do come in a variety of colors. Somewhere I read that an 18 inch by 18 inch ball provides around 120 pounds of flotation. The one in the picture should be considerably more than that. For reference, that is a 12.5 inch Allison plate.

Attachments

allimax

I was looking at that in the pic you had posted the other day and was wondering what it was. Are the bungees nessasary you think our just a safe guard? Not sure how much flotation it will give me but even an inch of rise back there will help with the rollers coming off the wake board boats while I'm trying to fish. Can't tell you how many F#%~ing times I've had them roll right over the back and spill into the seating area. I will say the deal I'm trying does fit real nice and tight. I couldn't pull one out of there with a rope tied to it if I had to.

Mick

How much does having a ball or floatations in the jack plate help stability? I'm contemplating this, after one trip out I feel like I will defiantly be going for a swim this year!

Mick

How much does having a ball or floatations in the jack plate help stability? I'm contemplating this, after one trip out I feel like I will defiantly be going for a swim this year!

gmorgan

The bungies are just a precaution. I believe it would stay put without them, but I know they will stay with them. I'd say my boat floats a couple inches higher with the exercise ball in place, and the boat feels more stable when at rest. It will stay on plane with a Chopper prop at 16 MPH.

ROBERT CROSS

The bungies are just a precaution. I believe it would stay put without them, but I know they will stay with them. I'd say my boat floats a couple inches higher with the exercise ball in place, and the boat feels more stable when at rest. It will stay on plane with a Chopper prop at 16 MPH.
^
X2

Plus....pop's over the hump a bit quicker, less backwash too.

Bob

SLOmofo

A lot more work then blowing up your balls, but.
I take the time to cut up old found dock flotation. A thin diamond plate piece for the top. Then another piece for the area between the bottom of the jack plate and the skid plate. Then fill the entire area with cut to fit foam pieces.
What I found with just the balls was the boat at rest, me standing in back looking, was riding at least 3" higher. When I came off plane there was minimum back wash if any on the rear deck. Squat during blast off much less.
Another plus is, consider the weight of the water that is trapped as you accelerate. Yes it isn't there once drained out but it has to be moved forward as the boat accelerates from off plane. "Pints a pound the world around", times 4, times probably at least 3
If the jack plate is open top and bottom when you come off plane it acts as a scoop.
I cannot think of a negative to having the area filled. IMHO

ROBERT CROSS

that is awesome Bob!! what is holding that flashing in place???................
Plus two on the bumpers, so obvious,GREAT idea!!!...I have two already...think I'll give them a try this Season.

Well.... the four plate bolts have held it so far. It's pretty tough stuff & rigid enough to keep it in place, the holes let it drain quickly.

Bob