On board charger question

JOEALLY

Will leaving a standard 2 bank on board charger 'on' all the time hurt anything, such as the charger, batteries, etc.? I know it's made for charging, I'm just wondering about leaving it hooked up for maybe weeks at a time.

GotMyAlly

Shouldn't hurt a thing. In my old boat, I had a 2 bank guest. I plugged it home when I came home from the lake and didn't unplug it until I got ready to use the boat again. Sometimes it would sit for a month or more in the winter.

K

Kevin from FL

What brand? Most on board chargers are fine for this and made for it.

fishnfireman

Like the guys said (most) are made to do this.

However I have heard of two different fires that have been started by battery chargers that had been left on ina storage complex.

Not good!!!

I bought a timer to put on mine when I used to leave it down at Del Rio during the winter.

But heck those things have been known to mess up.

RB in NM

I have a Pro Mariner 150, a 3 bank charger. When I plug in the boat after wearing down the two troller batteries, that stinkin charger gets purdy dang hot! I have it mounted in the rear port compartment with some stand offs, to keep it out away from the compartment wall. It has an air gap between the unit and the compartment wall.

I am too parinoid to leave it on while I am not present. I hate the smell of burning fiberglass and 2 many hundred dollar bills .... 8)

JOEALLY

Thanks fellas. The fear of fire is the real issue I have. I've left it on for 2 weeks before and it does get hot. It's mounted in the rear of the rear starboard compartment and nothing is touching it. It says 'dual pro' on it (if I remember right???).