Nonratcheting gear case

Dave Hensley

Thanks Prof. Gohr. Now will you cut me a Christmas clearance deal on the 280 block? I have a complete Drag set up, less block, that needs a home.

GotMyAlly

I've had two non-ratcheting cases on two different 21's over the last 5 or 6 years. I have ran speeds into the upper 90s. Granted, it's a heavier boat than an XB03, but I haven't experienced anything that makes me wish for a ratcheting case on my setup.

I also ran a ratcheting case on my first 21 for a while. I can't say that it did anything better than the non-ratcheting case that I later ran on the same boat.

I've also never locked up a motor......so YMMV.

BGohr

4495, wheres the drag block, I'm looking for one in any condition. They voted the 280 back in for the Offshore cats so that block will be going up here shortly

BGohr

Cleinmark is thinking about buying it for a spare he said........

gmorgan

"I've had two non-ratcheting cases on two different 21's over the last 5 or 6 years. I have ran speeds into the upper 90s. Granted, it's a heavier boat than an XB03, but I haven't experienced anything that makes me wish for a ratcheting case on my setup.

I also ran a ratcheting case on my first 21 for a while. I can't say that it did anything better than the non-ratcheting case that I later ran on the same boat.

I've also never locked up a motor......so YMMV."

Now, there's some personal experience you can take to the bank.

harrells

I run a 3.0 250xs non racheting on a GS with no handleing issues at all even when chopping the throttle. The incident you are reffering to with the GS and it's ill handeling was SET-UP.

ally101

my allison drag has dead killed over 100 mph twice with non ratcheting case and its like u put the breaks on.nothing stupid just slows down fast.try that with ratcheting case and ur going for a ride

whipper

I can think of another {case} no pun intended :rolleyes: were i would like a non ratcheting case. With all the wake boat wakes on the water these days there has been 100,s of times ive had to slow down fast to avoid slamming into a tidal wave! In those unexpected situations I can think of quite a few times i went over them faster than I would have liked to because i couldn't scrub speed fast enough. And like Harrels says setup is key to avoiding any unwanted traits. Respect of the high performance nature of our hulls and power we push them with also. Seat time seat time seat time like anything really.

gmorgan

Old thread but here goes. Would a NR gearcase help or hurt or have no effect at all on a bat turn situation? Scenario: SS/2.5 running very bow high in a near 100 speed and chopping throttle.

(I've never run a NR case--so clueless)
Well, it's been almost two years since I initially asked the question of NR versus ratcheting gearcases, and I am glad to say I havent had any problems with the NR case due to the NR design. I did buy a Geiger Tec carrier though and when we installed the carrier we found that my keyway was beginning to eat into the gearcase, so it is a good thing that I decided to upgrade it. One word of caution, though: my exhaust system on my 225 Super Mag was stock, liner and all. The increased thickness of the Geiger Tec carrier cut down the exhaust flow and gave my motor an extreme case of COPD. I ended up having to take out the liner and drill 10 holes in the mid like a 280 or Mod VP. Now she is back to running very well.

gmorgan

keyway can be fixed--drill bit and metal dowel--did mine a decade ago--still running--no, I'm not talking about pinning the carrier
The Geiger Tec carrier uses a long key, so I hope this stops the problem also.

harrells

I have a 3.0L 250 sport xs non-ratcheting on GS and love it, chopped the throttle many times and it just lays down. Last year locked up the gearcase running 85mph that time it did hook pretty hard but nothing too bad. It's all in the set up

whipper

Harrells what setback you end up at and did you move the battery forward or anything like that? how is our acceleration over a 2.5 and mid range compared to a 200 or 225 of course Im sure a 260/280 nothing can compare on these hulls to those motors with a small wheel. Your fuel range must be sick!! oh and load carrying .. One more thing do you think a 300xs would be worth it ?
Thanks