New tow vehicle

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had to get the other boat out to run it a little and winterize it. It is a 2014 Ram Outdoorsman - Hemi, 3.92 posi, other neat stuff. This rig is almost 1000# more than the XB02 and the truck pulled it thru the hills of southeast Ohio with ease.

Westy

Congrats on the new Mopar. I tow my XB03 with a 2012 Ram R/T up 6% grade here in AZ on cruise at 80+:shock:

GotMyAlly

Nice boat puller. Love mine. Only thing that'd make me give up my hemi may be a half ton diesel.

BullyDog has a great programmer for the hemi if you want to open it up a little.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought long and hard about that 1/2 ton diesel. Nothing but good reviews. I am just a little gun shy to buy one when they don't have a track record like the Cummins.

GotMyAlly

Toyota is getting a 5.0 V8 cummins next year and that might be enough to make me break my mopar loyalty. If yota would do something about the C-channel frame (use a box frame like all the rest), they'd have a winner in that cummins powered truck.

allimax

Way to go Dave. Hope to see her at Raystown in the spring. I like it and I like the white. Lot of balls under the hood of that girl and with 3.92's that's a towing beast there!!!!

GotMyAlly

When you get ready to play, this is THE best air intake on the market for the hemi.

I was hating myself for taking one with 3.55 gears until I added this. Before, it downshifted from 5th to 4th on every big hill between my house and pwick (pulling the boat). Now it only kicks down maybe twice every trip. Very noticeable gain!

And you can't beat their guarantee.

http://www.vararam.com/air-grabber/air-grabber.html

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
That looks pretty good. Their claims sound almost too good to be true.

Expected Horsepower Gain: 30 (flywheel, at speed)
Quarter Mile ET: 3-5 tenths of a second quicker
Quarter Mile MPH: 3-4 mph faster
Install Time: 10-20 minutes

GotMyAlly

I can verify that the install time is that quick. Don't plan on putting mine on the track to validate the ET's though....it's a truck, not a race car. But you can definitely FEEL this mod. It did more for the seat of the pants feel than my tuner, for sure. Probably wouldn't have bought a tuner if I had bought this first.

Westy

When you get ready to play, this is THE best air intake on the market for the hemi.

I was hating myself for taking one with 3.55 gears until I added this. Before, it downshifted from 5th to 4th on every big hill between my house and pwick (pulling the boat). Now it only kicks down maybe twice every trip. Very noticeable gain!

And you can't beat their guarantee.

http://www.vararam.com/air-grabber/air-grabber.html
That's first thing I did to my Ram. Looks good, works good. What more can you ask for. I'm averaging 18 MPG in town and over 25 on the highway with my R/T.

JWW8

What year is your RAM? Is it the 5.7L Hemi? Where did you buy this air filter?

Thanks!

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought the Glastron new about this time of year in 1982. Power is just a 1988 135hp Mariner. WH28 carbs, Boyenson reeds, a little tighter heads. It has been a great family boat for all these years.

GotMyAlly

After running it for a while, I think i 'almost' regret the vararam......
The power it adds is incredible for the cost and ease of installation. Just not so sure how I like ram air induction on a truck that's used like a truck. I pretty much have to clean the filter every 3 months. You would not believe the size of the horse flies and moths that come out of that thing. If I only cleaned it annually or bi-annually, I'm not sure any air would make it into the plenum at all. That thing gets filthy in no time. I'd almost rather have a disposable that I could just throw away and replace.

K.Kiser

Me and street scene friends used to run k&n filters in everything through the 1990's and 2000's, as the years went on we started seeing the filter lube getting pulled into the throttle bodies causing some idle issues and butterfly's sticking..

None of us use a lubed filters anymore, went back to disposable filters and none the worse for it..