New Mercury 200 XS Consumer Outboard

Bobalouie

The only obstacle is the 200 ros is built in Mercury racing and 175 proxs mids are in wherever their normal production facility is. That stock transfer is what the problem is. Companies hate transferring parts from one facility to another
Merc doesnt care about that. I am pretty sure the Torquemaster lower unit was cast in Stillwater, OK at the old Mercruiser facility. All the wiring harnesses for all the engines are Hecho in Mexico at the plant down there. There were all kinds of parts cast in Mercruiser Die Casting for the Outboard stuff that got transfered to Fon Du Lac.

Allyfishing

Really great reading in this post!! A few years ago at the rally Darris spoke about this very thing that's being talked about here. He said he tried to get Mercury to listen and they did not even want to talk to him. He told us he tried to explain to them that there was still a market for lighter weight powerful motors that there was still a market for the lighter boats available new but they disagreed with him. The old regime was gone that he carried a lot of clout with and the new blood had no interest in even speaking to him.

Ben Biller tried to get this very same thing going that you are trying DAve but with no success. No one was interested....i hope you succeed!!

Dave Hensley

Mercury is listening......I just think they have a different answer in mind. Kevin Skiba from Merc is saying they are working on a package that would meet the criteria. That could be anything. Not saying that is good or bad. But it might be very different.
When Darris and I were discussing it we thought that a 225 ProMax type motor using DI technology would be the ultimate answer. Darris also said he asked for them to just make the 225 Pro Max again.....then he said" but that would be just like someone asking me to build the old 13' race boat.....it isn't happening as I have moved on." that also makes perfect sense and puts reality into the discussion as to what is being asked for and what Mercury believes is the answer.

Last edited:

scj

I want a 280x or give me a 250 hp Mercury 4 stroke based off the 450 pound 3 liter 4T engine they use now.

Dave Hensley

The 100 hr rebuild on the 280 might be exaggerated. I have seen them with 250 hours that still have life left in the rings. RPMs and quality of fuel and oil is critical.

Allyfishing

Dave, I really wanted a 280 for my Pro when I replaced the 225 Promax but that was the only thing that stopped me from doing it. I am so pleased to get in my boat now and turn the key and away I go without worrying about anything other than changing the gearcase oil every ten hours.

rmills280

gearcase every 10 hrs. dang i'd spend more time and money doing that than riding

Allyfishing

lol!! I was told to change it that often. Not? Actually it comes out to about twice a season. Once right before the rally and then right before our 2 week trip to hartwell. that's the only times I ever get to run on a lake bigger than the block I live on!!

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just did mine tonight, first time since last year. I checked it once or twice this summer, still looked good tonight when I drained it. Don't know how many hours I had on it though.

Dave Hensley

Yep. CRT block, aftermarket internals, Mercury electrics, SVS intake, Merc 15" can and adapter, lightweight aftermarket can and clamp, 200 coned gearcase and a Wally Built cowl and pan. $35K on the low end. I might be able to help if someone wanted a good 280 or Drag powerhead. Might even have a cowl and gearcase laying around......;0)

Dave Hensley

Not into XR-2001's. Been there, done that. Now a vintage XR-2002 with string steering and 12" mid......that is worthy of a hot rod motor.

GotMyAlly

CRT block, aftermarket internals, Mercury electrics, SVS intake, Merc 15" can and adapter, lightweight aftermarket can and clamp, 200 coned gearcase and a Wally Built cowl and pan. $35K on the low end.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Could run twin 300XS's and still have money left over! :D

Dave Hensley

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Could run twin 300XS's and still have money left over! :D
Neal anybody could do that....the cool factor just isn't there... :LMAO:Darris would love 1010 pounds bolted to the back of a 2016 XR 2002!!! Working right now on a 15" Mercury mid with 3.0 liter powerhead that should be in 445-450 pound range. Waiting on an adapter plate. I have the mid, gearcase and powerhead waiting. Saw and XR 2002 at the Jasper river run that had a big old JohnRude Venom on it.......