New 3.4 Merc Lower Unit Question

pacman809

Attended the NY Boat Show last week and spent time at the Mercury booth. It appears that the new 3.4L Seapro's are finally a little lighter(470lbs) and could possibly be a replacement for our aging 2.5EFI (405lbs.) The question of the day was about the standard lower unit vs. the TorqueMaster. Two questions they couldn't seem answer: 1) The TorqueMaster has the low water pick ups in the nose but still has a number of intake holes up under the cavitation plate. If I plugged the upper holes (like done in the past), would it void the warranty? and 2) The nose is not a CLE or extended cone( EFI has a Bob's), would this not cause blow out above 80 mph like a stock unit?
All thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Pacman

Wave to Wave

Attended the NY Boat Show last week and spent time at the Mercury booth. It appears that the new 3.4L Seapro's are finally a little lighter(470lbs) and could possibly be a replacement for our aging 2.5EFI (405lbs.) The question of the day was about the standard lower unit vs. the TorqueMaster. Two questions they couldn't seem answer: 1) The TorqueMaster has the low water pick ups in the nose but still has a number of intake holes up under the cavitation plate. If I plugged the upper holes (like done in the past), would it void the warranty? and 2) The nose is not a CLE or extended cone( EFI has a Bob's), would this not cause blow out above 80 mph like a stock unit?
All thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Pacman
The 3.4 V6 is slightly more than 475 in the real world. You don't want the SeaPro, just the regular one, or 175 ProXS. The 225 HP and 175 ProXS rev to 6,000 RPM, the others only 5,800 RPM. The gearcase is the 4.88 design, originally for the Verado. I would cone it to run the height you'll need. That case could maybe run low 80s but you won't be able to run it high enough, I don't think.