My boys kicked butt on Choke Canyon this weekend

Alli-drenaline Rush

Took the boys to Choke Canyon this weekend.... they were fun-fishing and trying to put together their best 2-man 5-fish sack.... they pulled in a 5-fish best of 25.19 lbs with a 12.30 lb kicker fish.... all 25 lbs shown in the picture (the 12 pounder makes those 3-pounders look like dinks!)..... the old man could not compete.... blame it on getting front-ended by the boys!!!! LOL!

BTW I saw a blue 2-axle Allison boatmate trailer hooked up to a black Avalanche at Calliham Sunday.... never saw the boat, though!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Thanks, asdf! We had the trip of a lifetime!

I'd say the driver of that Avalanche and the Allison fishes the best two lakes in Texas!!!! The boys really want to make another trip to Amistad!!!

asdf

Where do you all travel from? If I had a house, I'd offer the space, but I RV full time while assigned to Laughing Air Force Base.

I need to figure out how to catch one of those 12 pounders!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Hey asdf,

We're coming out of the Houston area...... Lakeview Inn has been good to us.... great breakfast burritos, close to Diablo East and reasonably priced. We have launched out of the Air Force ramp also - very nice.....

I've got some connectivity problems - currently hooked up at the local library with my work computer.... will take a pic of a rainbow trout swimbait that you can pick up over at the Ranger dealer / tackle shop on 90 some distance east of the Lakeview Inn...... they're not cheap, but they just might be the ticket if you pull them with braid over hydrilla on the flats on the old Mexico side east of Zorro (sorry I can't be more specific - I just don't have a way to pin-point specific locations)......

You might want to hook up with a guy who works at the AF base - as I recall in the maintenance dept - drives a Ranger (I think it's a 362) with an old-school Yammie 200 or 225.... blue and silver Ranger as I recall...... helluva nice guy. I did a day on the lake with him during the 2007 top-6 tournament..... 30 year AF guy who landed in Del Rio and never left...... I bet that he can turn you on to ol' bucketmouth there!

Last edited:

asdf

When I fish with my buddy, we usually launch from the Air Force marina and go across the lake to the Evan's Creek area. He doesn't like to burn much gas, so we usually stay close to the Marina. A few weekends ago, we pulled a couple of 5 pounders out of that area along with some smaller ones. The one I got was probably the biggest bass I've caught.

Thanks for the tips on bait and location. I'm close to getting into an XB2003 so I can get some more action!

Alli-drenaline Rush

Good job on the 5 pounders! They'll get your adrenaline pumping for sure!

Funny you say that about not burning much gas! My son latched onto a big 'un right under the floating platform in the cove right next to the AF ramp.... be careful when playing the fish if you latch onto one there..... the mooring lines do not like fishing line, but big bass certainly do!

When I first bought my boat I had a gearcase lock up on me coming around the point between lil Tulie and Tule in old Mexico..... fortunately there was a Skeeter rep fishing the point and he saw it happen... gave me a tow back to Box Canyon at 30+ mph LOL what a ride! (And yes it was a Yammie pulling a Merc!) My bass club buddy was not so exciting - he towed me to Diablo East at 3 mph! A nice 20 mile joyride!