Motor Guide trolling motor question

dragmerc

1.546" bearing # MFM00501T or without T. they should be available.
newer models use 1.477" sealed bearing MFM00502T and a different style lower retainer.
without serial number it's hard to know which model you have and someone could have mixed parts on your motor. be sure to pull down hard on the shaft and push up hard on the retaining ring when you tighten the set screw. what usually happens is the ring slips down and lets some of the balls fall out. some minnkotas have the same size bearing.
don't know how much you want to spend but the new design shaft with threads at the top sure is a big improvement. no more roll pins.

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Yep. Mine has threads for the pinion nut. It also has the wavy washer, o ring and cone washer between lower retaining ring and lower bearing. Looks like the threaded pinion will allow ease of preload.

dragmerc

the new design doesn't use wavy washers, cone washers, etc.
it's just a cone shaped collar on the bottom with set screws and cone shaped collar on top that screws onto the shaft with loctite and a set screw into the end for another locking device. semi sealed bearings that can't lose their balls. with this setup, there can't be any up down movement unless the set screws on the bottom come loose. best design i've seen on MG or MK. now if MG would come up with a decent bracket and easier access to both cable tension nuts. i wish MG would use brush springs like MK for ease of assembly.

Dave Hensley

Fish are biting on Douglas. I guess I will put it back the way it was new for now. Buddy of mine caught 20 bass the other evening with the smallest being 3.5and lunker at 7.5. He had a 5.5 smallie kicker.