Modified Sportmaster Gearcase Question

Yellowallison

Hot diggie DOG Flatout.. I'm proud Ya !!!

Having hydraulic steering does NOT eliminate the need for a torque tab. The tab is still needed reduce the crab angle of the lower unit.

RB in NM

I have never used a torque tab on my stock sportmaster, even when I had the cable steering. Never saw the need, especially when I had spent some time in getting the boat setup the way it oughta be.

I did have some torque steer, but not much, unless I waz running a 29-30 inch wheel. There again, I got a 28" cut that had no torque steer hardly at all.

Myself, I do not like the idea of drilling for rivets,, or welding to my skeggs.

but that's jus' me.... :roll:

RB

GotMyAlly

I wish mine drove that easy with the stock sportmaster. Mine was a monster with a 27" trophy and cables. The hydromotive helped. Grinding the port side of the factory sportmaster tab so that it sweeps right helped. But even still, it wasn't real fun to drive. I'm gonna put in 2" spacers this winter to see if more setback will help. I've tried everything else. I was planning to get my sporty worked by Titus, but when I start hearing about cracking skegs on worked cases, it makes it less appealing.

CDave

FlatOutAlly said:
Having hydraulic steering does NOT eliminate the need for a torque tab. The tab is still needed reduce the crab angle of the lower unit.
Understood, but I hear never weld on a skeg but welding a torque tab is OK?
Why not reshape the skeg?

Also, if the torque tab is so important why don't I see them at the drag races?

RB in NM

CDave,,yer reading mymind bud,,,,,but I figgered I get some smack for the racers only needing to run a 1/4 at a time,,, blah,blah,blah,,,,

I am curious about the Titus gearcase too. I hear about the speed gains, I'd like to hear from someone who has experiance from the Titus version, versus a Bob's coned 200 case etc.,. I wonder if anyone has used the Titus case in racing...I have not heard of any,, Yet.. there may be, I don't know.

There is a lot of inherient bad habits in some props in stock form. Lots of people would be surprised in what a stock prop handles like torque wise versus a wheel that has been simply tweaked by balancing and ensuring each blade is matched to the others. I have had props that were vastly different from balde to blade,,,brand new form Merc. If not matched, there can provde you with all the torque you can handle... :wink:

Russ