Leak down test

Bob Ant

Can someone explain a leakdown test and what the results mean. How is it different that doing a straight compression test? I have seen it mentioned a few times on various boards and never really understood exactly what it meant other than the obvious. On a 2.5 what's good results and what's not?

Bob A.

GFinch

Both test the engines sealing capability.
One while in motion the other at rest.
The leak down will show the total amount of leakage past the rings, valves(4 stroke) and gaskets. As you inject air and note where it escapes, this will tell you where a problem lies. (4cycle) carb= intake valve, exaust pipe= exaust valve, crank case filler= piston ring blowby.
You can check for wear in a cylinder by compairing leakage at TDC to BDC or just before the rings cross the exaust port opening.
On a compression test the first pulse will give you an idea of wear in the cylinder.
A compression test with all cylinders even and high is considerded good.
Leak down. Less than 10% to 15% I would guess is OK, not perfect but OK. Depending on ring end gap or/and top pinned rings I remember 15% to 20%
What you want is to check, record and the compare over time. As wear takes place leakage increases. Also as carbon builds up compression increases.

GFinch

Now if I knew the the answer to the meaning of life. :? :?
I do, it's a faster boat!!!!! :D :D :D

Just a silly question. Does a can of Raid make you nervous?? :wink:

Just so you know I have red hair and my last name is Finch, both the brunt of many jokes.

Glad to help! :D