Jasper River Run Oct 10, 2014

Freebird

11AM Central is what I heard. Planning on making that one myself and was hoping to see more info on here.

BP1

Anyone know what the fuel situation is? In other words is there premium in Chattanooga?

Freebird

I haven't been on that section of river in about two years, but there is no fuel between Hales Bar Marina and MarineMax on the Chattanooga Riverfront. I don't recall either having premium fuel. Better grab some jugs as it's about a 70 mile round trip.

racerx

Bob fill your tank with a bigger prop and cruise site see and you will be find even tagging it a bit hear and there..

Dave Hensley

I think I remember seeing lots of fuel jugs at the dock in Chattanooga. It is an excellent day if weather is good. Made the entire trip last year on 13 gallons. That was with a 150 XR2!! Hope to have an XB 2002 rigged with 225 x this year.

Luketrician

I messed up a few years ago..ran a 26p prop on my 2002, I took 2..6 gallon jugs with me, and I used up every bit of fuel I had LOL..

I gonna run a bigger wheel this time and keep the Rs down.. haha

Freebird

How many boats typically participate in this run? With my bottom all screwed up, I'm limited to about a 55MPH cruise unless there's a good wind chop. I may actually try dropping my motor way down to see if I can make enough drag to lose that porpoise problem that I didn't have with the 175.

Does everybody run balls to the wall or do they tend to cruise and take in the scenery? I'm afraid I'm gonna be really lonely bringing up the rear, but maybe I can make up time by not having to refuel. :big grin

suicidealli

I have done it the 6 out of the last 7 years. No fuel between the 2 locations, but I heard guys saying a few miles past the stop you can get 87oct. I did it with a 280, 260, drag,
23-29 gal. We cruise for most of it around 60, Usually run over a 100 a few times also.
Some guys run 90-100+ the whole way. We stop about every 10-15 miles have drink.
This year I have a stock 200 carb powerhead so 90 is all it has. Lol I will know next week if I'm going for sure...
Guys usually leave in groups, safer, and makes for a smoother ride. I would say around 75 boats total make the run.
Excellent run beautiful mountains. Worth the trip. I think from the ramp round trip is about 83 miles.

Roy

Last edited:

Freebird

I have done it the 6 out of the last 7 years. No fuel between the 2 locations, but I heard guys saying a few miles past the stop you can get 87oct. I did it with a 280, 260, drag,
23-29 gal. We cruise for most of it around 60, Usually run over a 100 a few times also.
Some guys run 90-100+ the whole way. We stop about every 10-15 miles have drink.
This year I have a stock 200 carb powerhead so 90 is all it has. Lol I will know next week if I'm going for sure...
Guys usually leave in groups, safer, and makes for a smoother ride. I would say around 75 boats total make the run.
Excellent run beautiful mountains. Worth the trip. I think from the ramp round trip is about 83 miles.

Roy
Thanks for that info. No doubt that's the prettiest stretch on the entire Tennessee River as I've run it all. Used to keep a boat at Hales Bar until last year. Nickajack is at river mile 424.7, Hales Bar is about 430 and Chattanooga Riverfont is about 464. Marine Max is the fuel stop to look at, and I'm sure they would be able to tell folks whether or not they have anything other than 87 octane.

Is there a designated gathering spot for lunch in Chattanooga or do folks just group up and do their own thing? At this point, I'm not sure if any of the locals around here are planning to attend.

Dave Hensley

Thanks for that info. No doubt that's the prettiest stretch on the entire Tennessee River as I've run it all. Used to keep a boat at Hales Bar until last year. Nickajack is at river mile 424.7, Hales Bar is about 430 and Chattanooga Riverfont is about 464. Marine Max is the fuel stop to look at, and I'm sure they would be able to tell folks whether or not they have anything other than 87 octane.

Is there a designated gathering spot for lunch in Chattanooga or do folks just group up and do their own thing? At this point, I'm not sure if any of the locals around here are planning to attend.
Last year folks just filtered out to one of several neat places to eat. No real plan. On the way back there are several opportunities to raft up several boats and enjoy.

THutch

I live in Chattanooga and will run by marine max tomorrow and check out what octane is available. A lot of people drop off gas at the riverfront/turnaround. I have a 30 gallon tank on a XB2003 and can go round trip. Local buddy with 24 gallon tank in an XB2003 can't quite make it.

A lot of folks eat at the Blue Plate or Big River Grill. Both are good with "American" food - read beer, burgers, fried chicken and food for women passengers.

Bring good bumpers as we tie up to a sea wall. And, for the guy that can't run more than 55 mph, you won't miss a thing. We stopped at least 6 times last year so you'll never be too far behind.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Usually I miss Jasper because it conflicts with a major industry association meeting that is a must-go for me. This year, the meeting ends on the 8th so I lucked out.

I'll be there either in the SS2000 or Grandsport to cause some sort of trouble..

Thank you for the mileage calc and fuel advisory.

THutch

The fuel dock at marine max in downtown Chattanooga has mid grade no ethanol only, not 93 octane or race fuel.

mtolley

I made it there on @6 gallons of fuel. But burned half a tank on the way back out running the rain. 200 promax on my xb02 with my 30re3

BP1

Made it there and back with a few gallons to spare. Brought an extra 5 gallons, but gave it away to an STV runnin a drag.