jackplate wedge?

John S

I've heard you guys talk about wedges on jackplates. Is this a cheap way to play with setback? right now I'm at 6" and would like to try a further back setup to see how it works.

thanks - John S

GotMyAlly

The wedges are designed to give you more down trim.

If you are wanting more setback, spacers are what you are looking for.

John S

Thanks. I guess the question now, is it wise to buy a smaller setback plate, so I can add, or is that hokey? I'm gonna buy a new jackplate,if I stay w/ my xtb, anyway(dont like my panther)

thanks - John S :D

John S

Thanks, Hack. :D I hope I'm not asking too many ?'s here, but this seems to be a very subjective thing, here. I've been looking at the owners rigs section, and there doesn't seem to be a consistent setback. So if I want to avoid using the spacers, is there a general rule for setback ( I got an xtb-21 with 200xs)? Sorry if I'm asking too many ?'s, but I aint got enough time or $ to be buying the wrong stuff. From what I've read, when you go back further, you're bringing the balance point furher back (less trim angle?), but I imagine there is a negative payoff, also. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again - John S

JOEALLY

I have a XB 2003/200XS so our boats are different. But for what it's worth, I'm running 14.5" setback. (9" Allison bracket + 5.5" cmc hyd. plate).

GotMyAlly

Up to a point, more setback increases top end and less setback is better for holeshot. But like anything else, too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Heavier motors usually need less setback because of the leverage.

Maybe some of the guys with XTB21s will chime in here with some input. I think Jimmy ran a 200XS on his XTB for a while.

Skywagon

To add to GotMyAlly's post, more horse power seems to need less setback too.

J

John Richied

Allison makes a manual jackplate that you can adjust the setback in three increments. It’s like 10”s, 11.25”s and 12.5”s…

John S

THANKS !!!!! :D :D I really appreciate the time you fellas are taking to teach the rook! This has become a viscious cycle for me ( get comfortable-wanna go faster), a helluva lot more fun than workin! If I'm reading you guys right, 6" isn't enough setback- thats how the boat was setup, so until I saw what you guys were doin, didn't know any better. I think I'll call Allison tomorrow.

Thanks again - John S :D

Blue Gray in PA

I still use the stock 6" setback with a 150 HP and get 70MPH on the GPS with two guys on board. If you would, please let me know how the longer setback works for you cause I have been considering a change too.

froggy

John S.

I had a 1985 XTB-21 with a 1985, stock, 200 HP with a CLE gearcase. In those days Darris was recommending a 4" setback so I took my 6" plate off and changed to 4". I promptly lost 4 MPH. Then I re-arranged my batteries and got the 4 MPH back. I finally got the rig to run 82 MPH, loaded for fishing with two fishermen. Not bad for the day. It sure handled rough water well at the 4" setback. I believe current thinking would like something about 10" for that setup.

froggy

John S

Thanks, Froggy

Where did you move them to? I've been thinking of moving my batts to the center in front of my gas tank so I have more control of weight distribution with passengers ( thinking that if I have more weight centralized, it will be easier to balance ).

Thanks - John S :D