Is a 15″ mid-section preferred for the SS-2000 Excels?

BadgerBoater

I have noticed that many Allison SS-2000 Excels are powered by a Mercury OPTIMAX 200XS ROS that have a 15″ mid-section.

Is a 15″ mid-section preferred for the SS-2000 Excels?

Do other outboard manufacturers make a 15″ mid-section?

Thank you!

Mike

90 5.0

I prefer a 15" on every Allison besides the XB21 personally.

The only manufacturer you can order a new factory 15" at this time is Mercury that I know of.

JCSmile

It's probably preferable but they are very pricey. From a performance standpoint they do very little. They get your center of gravity lower, other than that they just look and sound cool.

RiverRat71

I would love to have a 15" for my GS. Does anyone know if one will work with my 2005 2.5XS Opti? It has a 2.5 powerhead but a 3 liter mid & lower. RR

RiverRat71

How do they get a 2.5 powerhead on a 3.0 mid? --All in the adapter plate? If so, yes a 2.5 powerhead would need a different adapter plate, different L.U.

Performance #s on that 200 ros? different thread?
This is all I could find on the 2.5XS.

Mercury Racing Releases All-New OptiMax 2.5XS Outboard

July 29, 2004

FOND DU LAC, WI. – Mercury Racing is pleased to announce the release of the all-new OptiMax 2.5XS outboard. Designed for smaller, lightweight boats (flats, bass, vee bottom and catamaran sportboats), the custom-built engine features a compact 2.5 liter, V-6 OptiMax powerhead mounted on a 20-inch, 3.0 liter center section and gearcase. The compact V-6 powerhead saves weight on the overall package, enhancing boat performance and fuel economy.

It is the first of next generation low-emissions outboards to replace the legendary 2.5 EFI Series, which will be discontinued at the end of the 2005 model year. The direct fuel-injected powerhead is full of race-inspired features including Mercury Racing pistons, cylinder heads and air intake system with carbon fiber reeds. The Mercury exclusive PCM 03 microprocessor provides the ability to optimize fuel, spark timing and knock control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality and performance. The PCM 03 also operates the electronic multipoint lubrication system. The SmartCraft Control Area Network (CAN) system, a network of sensors and actuators, proactively monitors and controls multiple engine functions. This system also enables the PCM 03 microprocessor to provide real-time engine function data to accessory SmartCraft gauges, including speed, RPM, engine trim level, fuel consumption and range.

Unlike other DFI systems, OptiMax uses an exclusive 2-stage process. A burst of air (at 90 psi) shoots through the fuel, breaking it into a fine mist. This fine mist creates more surface area for combustion and stays suspended in the cylinder longer, resulting ina more consistent and complete burn. The 2.5XS features a higher air/fuel pressure differential than production engines, enhancing running quality.

The 2.5XS features an exhaust adapter plate ,built-in appendages for mounting after market steering wing plates. Models come with the new Mercury Racing rigging tube kit. The kit features a larger 2-1/2-inch size for fitting all electronic cables, steering cables and fuel lines. The durable hose threads onto the one-piece couplers - providing a complete seal at both the engine and boat.

Models are available with a 20-inch (508 mm) center section and either a right-hand rotation 1.87:1 Sport Master gearcase or 2:1 Torque Master gearcase. The OptiMax 2.5XS comes with a 2-year warranty and a 2-star CARB emissions rating.

BadgerBoater

Plus the swivel bracket is a LOT more robust on the 15" ROS...

And, IMHO....it just makes the GS look better.:rolleyes:

View attachment 11772

View attachment 11773
I figured if the boat got bent out of shape (certainly not my fault) the lower C.G. would help. Well used 15" mids go for $2500 or more, must be some value there. Prefer a 15.

Badger--Where in IL and WI do you boat?
I was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin and now live in Batavia, Illinois. Both not far from the IL/WI border. My favorite lake for boating is Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. While driving to work this morning I was thinking that I live close to where/was outboard motor manufactures headquarters.
Mercury Marine is in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.
Johnson Outboard was in Waukegan, Illinois.
Evinrude was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Evinrude is now BRP, Sturtevant, Wisconsin.
(I know there are other manufacturing locations)

Thanks to all for your answers.

Mike

ROBERT CROSS

(I know there are other manufacturing locations)

Yep:LMAO:....my lower cowl trim switch, genuine Mercury part $78.00 ($70 Boats.net)

Jr in Jax

Bill Clinton OK'd Loral space providing launch vehicles to China using the same guidance systems as our MIRV ICBMS. One of the missiles had a launch pad "accident" and the Chinese waited several days before letting us have access to the accident site. The guidance system was "missing" when we arrived but has since been incorporated into all the Chinese military/private launch vehicles. The Clintons received some large donations....

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/11/world/clinton-approves-technology-transfer-to-china.html

Last edited:

Jr in Jax

Jack Barsh has a jig in his shop for marrying a 3 litre to a 2.5 mid and shortening it.