IMR White Hots?

RedAllison

Anyone shooting these pellets? Jeffro "Cashew Kid" is gonna muzzleload with me on my place this season, it opens Sat. In MS he can use his 45-70 single shot for "primitive weapons" so here in TN he's going to use my ol 50cal Knight Wolverine that I've had sittin in the safe since I went to the Savage smokeless over 10yrs ago. All of my Pyrodex pellets, bullets/sabots, primers & other crap were still in an ol backpack sittin on a shelf in the garage. I didn't trust the pellets since they werent sealed air tight for the last decade so I chunked them. The 209 primers were still fine so I kept them. The bullets I used back then were 45cal 200grn Barnes "Red Hots". That combo used to shoot great in that 20" Wolverine.

Last week I picked up some T7 pellets & T7 primers. They sprayed the 200 Barnes' about 6" at 100yds. So I went home & deep cleaned the Knight (& THAT reminded me why I LOVE my Savage so much!) then decided to get a pack of the IMR White Hots. I shot them earlier this week & while a little better, the 200s still shot like crap! So I switched to some 250 Hornady SSTs I had sitting around. They grouped much better & while not quite as flat shooting inside 175yds as the 200s, I know they have much more "authority" @ impact! (& so again I returned home to clean the Knight & again I PRAISED my Savage!)

The White Hots SMOKE like ol Buick. Like I said, it's been a decade since I've used this gun but I swear I don't remember it smoking THIS much when I used to use it with Pyrodex pellets. Anyone else use the White Hots? What do you think of it?

skewby

i got talked into using the white hots last year by a friend, o they smoke less their this and that. i missed 2 deer one at 60yrds and another at 80yrds opening week end. i went to the practice range every shot was 8-10 inches high and all over the place. i ran a cleaning brush through the barrel a few times loaded with pyrodex and it shot great. i was told to zero in the scope with the white hots and all would be fine.

spenccj1

Blackhorn 209 is about the best on the market now for your inlines. Very little fouling with great accuracy. Just make sure to check the load info, it's different from pyrodex and others. Max load is around 120grains and you need to use actual 209 shotgun primers which are a bit hotter than the muzzle loading branded 209's. I'm shooting 100 grains with 195 grain dead center sabots in my .45 encore. Deadly accurate combo for muzzle loading load but as always your bullet/sabot combo depends largely on the barrel twist of your gun.

RedAllison

spenc I'd like to try the BH powder but as I understand it (confirmed via their website) that they DO NOT recommend that powder for inlines with exposed primers like my lil Wolverine.

spenccj1

Understand. I've used in my austin&halleck with same exposed primer setup with no issues but your correct. It isn't recommended. Good luck this weekend. Post pics if you down any west tn fat boys. I'm not far from you (around clifton) and don't have to high of hopes without some cool weather to get them stirring.