Hot Horn

JR

We dropped the boat in the water and took off down the St Mary's River this morning and I warmed the engine up a little and then "Punched" it.
The Temp gauge was reading about 140, and I had 20# of indicated water pressure, which is normal. I raised my jackplate and adjusted my trim and concentrated on the Formula One type curves in the narrow river.
All of a sudden, the hot horn went off, so I checked my jack plate to see if it was too high [it wasn't]. I was still indicating 20# of water pressure so I backed down the throttle to idle. The temperature was pegged at 200 so I shut it down. I checked the sport master's water inlets for obstructions and they were clean.
I cranked it back up and had no water pressure and just steam at the Pisser.

I got my Daughter [on her Kawasaki 15F PWC] to tow us a short distance to a nice beach and pulled the thermostats from the really hot engine. The stats were open and clean, yet when I recranked it again, I had no water pressure through the open hoses.

I must have had some kind of a complete water pump failure [or internal screen blockage?].

We loaded it at a closer ramp [after spending the day at a really nice beach] and brought it home.

I am going to take it to Curtis for repairs [Monday] and leave it while we are on vacation [we are taking the PWC with us to the Space Center/ Cocoa Bch].

Hopefully the power head is not cooked, when Curtis pulls the heads, but it's only money...right?

If it is power head time, I think I'll just pack up both of my powerheads [my new and old one]and send them both to Jay or Randy.

Susan and I are really blessed / overjoyed it happened where it was so convienient, instead of a hundred miles from the ramp/car and also at a convienent time [going on vacation with the 'ski].

JR

chad202

My promax did that when it was 2yrs old. It was the water pump. For some reason, it just shattered into lots of pieces. My hot horn went off everytime I went to take off which was 4times. After finding the problem, I ran the motor for 3 more years before a ring pin came out.

J

John Richied

Like Chad said your engine is probably fine. I had the hotter then hell alarm go off one time on my 225 ProMax and the only thing it did was make the heads/head gaskets harder to get off. When the engine is that hot and you have to shut it down it gets heat soaked, but the fact that you were still able to turn it over and it runs is a good indication that everything is fine.

It sounds like the 20#’s of water pressure was steam pressure and you just need to find the obstruction or cause; replace the water pump housing /impeller as needed and you will be good to go.