Hook???

suicidealli

Guys I'm tearing the striper up, but having an issue. Im fishing 20 to 30' of water vertical fishing a "sliver buddy" blade style bait.. My issue is there is so much trash, trees and who knows what down there.. I'm loosing baits..... I'm averaging 2-3 fish per lure... I have tried smaller treble hooks, cutting off a hook off each treble hook. I have also bent the hooks closed a little more. All has helped, but I'm loosing 3 baits each time out. About 1 an hour.. Has anyone seen the lighter brass hook in a treble or 2 hook???? I have tried jigs, jigs with swimming shad baits, road runners.. Nothing works as good as the blade baits!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions........

Thanks,
Roy

fenwayfear

Lighter hooks heavier line(65lb braid) will straighten those hooks right out from the brush just make sure u r tying directly to the lure. I am sure already know this but be careful that will cut u like a razor.

GotMyAlly

I'd use weedless trebles. You'll have to add split rings too.

Might cost you a fish or two, but probably a lot less aggravating than getting hung up all day.
You might also try a Woo Daves Pocket Knocker. They're cheap.....and pretty effective at getting un-hung.

Last edited:

suicidealli

Thanks guys...... The weedless treble hooks I don't think will work. I'm kinda rippin up when jigging. The single hook I think I would miss a lot of fish. We feel a lot of hits, and they get off with the trebbles. I found some gold treble hooks going to try.
I'm using 14 lb spider wire. I like the feel of the lure. With the heavier line I might loose some feel, and might loose some action. Maybe not... I'm going to jump up a little anyway.
I might try the pocket knocker..

Thanks,
Roy

Last edited:

wasmeneh

Lots of Saltwater guys around here go with the single hook. They advise more action and still good hook sets

GotMyAlly

I fish the silver buddies a bunch in the winter. They do catch fish, but i've found that if you throw 'em around wood.....they're gonna get hung. I bought a bunch from a local guy a few years ago for $1 each. I'm talking 2 gallon-size ziplock bags full of 'em. At $1 each, it doesn't really bother me to break 'em off occassionally.

suicidealli

I found a guy I buy the bodies with lead on them, and add my hooks, I'm down to 2 buck a piece. I just ordered a bunch to get this price....
I won't feel so bad at 2 bucks..... Awesome lures, but a lot of different fish will hit them. When the striper are hitting them it is great, but if it is slow you will catch everything......... I have caught, gar, cats, carp, drum, white bass, small mouth, large mouth, spotted bass... Great cold water bait, and deep water bait. Fish the humps in the river, and they are deadly all summer long!!!!!

Roy