Grandsport setup

dubmoney

It is OK to do that. Only draw back is you need to be more careful coming off plane. I helps to install skip planer, and maybe foil. I how ever don't have either, and have after market cowl which does let a little water in. I believe the factory alien cowl may do a better job keep water out. Some, people may say the 20" mid flys the nose better. It is just a matter of lip adjustment. All my opinions.

dubmoney

I might also mention that you may need a differnt jack plate if you buy one with 20" stuff. Although, I did end up using my 15" on a Detwiler jack made for a 20" motor, it works OK.

DOUBLE J

I had both on Grandsports (20 & 15) and I prefer the 15”. The handling is so much better with the 15”. I’ve ran 5 in boat and don’t do anything special slowing down. I’ve also prefer the foil but not the skid planer.

RiverRat71

I think it probably depends on the weight of the engine. I have a GS with 225 20". I would say handling would be better with 15" but my engine weighs right at 450 so if it had a 15" mid it would likely get swamped easy. Mine is a 2.5 XS so I guess if youre talking about a Promax it might be a diff story. Robert Cross here on the forum has a new GS with a 225 XS and a 15" mid, & I think his old GS had a 225 Promax with a 20". He might be of some help. RR

SLOmofo

I know nothing. Butt I do have a 1994 XB2003 with a 3.3 OMC Taylor 16" mid sports master lower...nice and heavy. When I first was setting it up if I was standing at the transom the waters would be at the rub rail. On decel water would wash over the back deck, if I wasn't careful. Once I filled the setback with foam chunks, standing at the back water would be 5" to 6" below the rub rail and no water on the deck.

RiverRat71

I know nothing. Butt I do have a 1994 XB2003 with a 3.3 OMC Taylor 16" mid sports master lower...nice and heavy. When I first was setting it up if I was standing at the transom the waters would be at the rub rail. On decel water would wash over the back deck, if I wasn't careful. Once I filled the setback with foam chunks, standing at the back water would be 5" to 6" below the rub rail and no water on the deck.
Hey SLO, I like that! I have an Allison hydraulic jack on mine so there is no room for big balls or a lot of foam but do you think a couple of 7" balls on top of the planer under the jack would do any good? Been debating on trying that. Sorry op, not trying to jack this thread. RR

SLOmofo

I think something is better than nothing. Inside my setback is the trim ram, I just cut pieces to fill around it. I'd guess there is a way to partly fill a hyd jack plate. I also think the water inside the setback adds to the overall weight of the boat during take off, that is until it drains out.

DOUBLE J

My favorite on the GS is a 15" 280. I've been running it with a 6'' set back bracket, 5.5 " hyd. jackplate and a 1" wedge (total of 12.5" set back plus the 2" setback which is in the factory 15" mid ( grand total 14.5" set back ). At one time I did the volleyballs in the bracket and just didn't like the look. I usually run with just a passenger and I don't even worry about coming off plane. I have since purchased a STR adjustable manual jack plate (12-14") which I'll be installing soon.