Grand sport Skidplainer?

whipper

Has anyone heard if Darris is making them for the GS yet? I hear he may have them now? if so how much and anyone else try one? I can call next week but just wondering if you guys have heard.

XSive

Has anyone heard if Darris is making them for the GS yet? I hear he may have them now? if so how much and anyone else try one? I can call next week but just wondering if you guys have heard.

Yep, I talked to Darris about one for mine about a month ago. You are looking at...I beieve a couple hundred$$...now keep in mind that someone could probably copy one for half that, but he should be paid for his R&D efforts as well. He said it comes with everything you need, including the brackets and instructions. You just have to drill holes and bolt it together.

whipper

Cool thanks look like I have a winter project.Thanks for the info. A guy on S&F put one on his and said he had a way better hole shot way lower plaining speed and the fastest top end to date right after install. Sounds like a few hundred well spent!! We have 6inches of snow already how about you guys in Manatoba.

XSive

We got a slushy 3 or so inches last Friday and, for the most part it is still here and is likely here until Spring. :very sad

It's been just below frezing since. My 3 year old likes making snowmen though.

Darris aid they make quite a bit of difference in holeshot. The boat stays flatter and will pop up with barely any throttle. I think it would be money well spent, especially if you are into water sports.

whipper

Ya thats what I was thinking. My kids like hydrosliding and skiing havent tried wakeboarding because 17-20 is as slow as I can go. You need to be around 15-16 for wake boards. Skiing at 25 for two and 30-33 for slolom is great though. Comming out a little flatter would realy help slolom skiers get up. I dont realy pick up the speed untill the bow comes down a bit with the leverage back there. Ill give Darris a call next week.

citabriatom

I just ordered one this morning.It's $350 with brackets,$185 without.It'll probably be a few weeks before I can post how it works(going on a camping trip about the time it will get here).Anything to help this old,fat man to get up slalom;I had to resort to a longer ski than I care for this past summer(LOL).

Last edited:

citabriatom

I will post pictures for sure.Don't care how cold it is,I'll have to try it out as soon as it's finished(skiing...not so sure!).

citabriatom

Well,I finally found the time to put the planner on.I can email pictures to anyone that wants 'em(I don't know how to post).Looks good for giving it a test run Sunday...supposed to get to a balmy 40 degrees!

citabriatom

Thanks James.Got off the water about an hour ago(originally was going out tomorrow but the winds are supposed to be 35 MPH!).Anyway,the skidplanner was everything I had hoped it would be:significantly better holeshot,less backwash over the stern,and reduced planning speed.With just myself in the boat,was able to get down to 14 MPH without the bow rising(of course not towing anyone...wimps!).The ability to make a sharp,low speed turn without breaking plane was a lot better.As far as handling at high speed,I could only get to 75 MPH before the water pouring out of my eyes blinded me and the cold air gave me a headache!Up to there,no ill effects.Opinions will of course vary,but I feel it was worth the time and money.Anyone who is ready to install one,contact me and I will tell you my screwups so you can avoid 'em.The instructions are fine,but I could have saved a lot of time if I had planned a little better.

DaveW

Any ideas if this will fit an XTB-21?

The hulls look very similar, but unfortunately it's a bit hard to ring the factory with the time difference being a bit painful from down here in Australia :big grin

Another question - is the bracket width adjustable? I've got a Bobs Machine Shop hydro plate on mine and wondered if it would fit it.

Dave

GFinch

It's aluminum therefore infinitely adjustable to fit whatever you have. I made my first one then when the Allison OEM one became available I bought it and made the mounting brackets as they weren't ready for sale yet. I bought the longest version then cut it down to fit with my setup. Use the search and see alot of different inputs.

whipper

This is just a guess hear but because of the longer running stakes that the plainer adds at higher speeds Im wondering if they aid in stability at all? Like chine walk. Or are they to high out of the water over 70 to to do anything? I know i sure like my foil at speeds over 80. I took it off one day tried it then put it back on and tried it the same day once. Thats when I decided to leave it on. 14mph plaining speed is unreal for a GS! I struggle to get 17 even with a foil. 18-19 with out it on. Towing a wake board 20-22 witch is to fast for my kids. If i could tow at even 16 that would be unreal for the littler one. Once I get mine home Ill PM you about the insalation.