Got me a new carry gun

pickwickangler

Figured it was a good time to buy a high capacity 45 so I picked me up a new Springfield XD 45 with a 4" barrel. Pretty tickled with this lil pistola so far. Fairly concealable, 14 shots of .45 acp :twisted evil, soft recoil for a 45 and supposed to be real accurate :embarassed I did poke a buncha holes in a 2' by 2' box at 25 yards but I couldn't tear the center out......yet :wink

The Cashew Kid

yep, if you want a high capacity gun, better go get em now. Or at least get ya a high capacity clip. I'm gonna try to go and get my permit before January so I can make sure I get it while ya still can.:wink

RedAllison

HOLY :cuss the great state of MS let Pieboy have a handgun??? :gasp

DAMN and a REAL mans gun no less, a .45acp! Just wait til ya come pilin outda bushes wifdat next time an ol partner fishes ya holes!!! :LMAO:

Theys a reason the trusty ol .45 is known as a "man stopper"! :twisted evil

You'll like dat XD as well, fine lil gun that has seemed to prove purty tough and they're always accurate. Now ya just gotta go out and make some Obama supporters leak wifit...
RA

jimmyb

the XD is on my list of guns to get...

however, our wonderful state of WI just changed their handgun hunting laws a few years back to allow any centerfire round with a 5.5" barrel. (previously only .357 41 and 44 cal were allowed) I have been hunting with a S&W model 66 (.357 mag), which i have shot 5 or 6 deer with... but i will probably put that up for sale and get me a .45ACP 1911 with a custom 5.5-6" barrel.

jimmyb

the XD is on my list of guns to get...

however, our wonderful state of WI just changed their handgun hunting laws a few years back to allow any centerfire round with a 5.5" barrel. (previously only .357 41 and 44 cal were allowed) I have been hunting with a S&W model 66 (.357 mag), which i have shot 5 or 6 deer with... but i will probably put that up for sale and get me a .45ACP 1911 with a custom 5.5-6" barrel.

BigRedAlli

HOLY :cuss the great state of MS let Pieboy have a handgun???
I was think'in the same thing!!! :gasp

Cool look'in gun, guess i'm going to have to check them out. Don't look like they would be that accurate though, but would probaly make enough noise to get the job done...:big grin

RedAllison

I shot a deer with a .45acp once just to see if it had enough "mojo" to be called a true deer caliber. I think it was about the fastest setup you could probably get in a .45acp for such a stunt. I got a box of the bestus hollow points from Cor Bon in +P power. The gun was a NEAT little gun I borrowed from a buddy who was curious himself what would happen. The rifle was a German push bolt .45acp (was a WWII vintage piece) that wore a lil scope on it and might've had a 16" ish barrel on it.

Anyway I carried it out too a bowstand where I knew I'd get a good close shot. Shortly a lil doe came by and I stopped her broadside at only 20 yds. I shot her perfectly behind the right shoulder. She jumped and ran out of sight. I waited 30 mins and got down. NO blood trail, nothing, only a lil hair where she was standing when I popped her and an occasional tip here and there through the woods. Luckily I knew the woods pretty well so I managed to find her piled up 250yds away. :confused Sadly the coyotes found her before I did and had already began lunching on her before I could get there. :mad:

Anyway I did a "field autopsy" on her to see what the bullet did. I found the bullet lodged neatly between her lungs. It fully penetrated one lung but didn't touch the other. Thus her ability to make it so far before expiring. Had I hit a shoulder or shot her at a further distance or at a less than perfectly broadside shot angle I doubt she would've gone down within an hour or two. I decided then and there that the .45acp was no deer hunting caliber. Sure it'll work fine for dispatching one that's already wounded and it certainly will keep intruders at bay, but I'd rather have my .357 Smith in a deer stand with it's higher velocity and smaller frontal area (equals more penetration in such instances, the bigger caliber would require more velocity for satisfactory results) for deer.

Likewise I've heard of folks using the .45LongColt for hunting but in stock trim it's nearly identical too the acp in velocity and power terms. Only a handloader with a stout gun like a Red Hawk or a few lever guns can safely power load the .45LC to act more like the .44 Mag.

:wink
RA

jimmyb

bigredalli: the XD is quite an accurate gun... the short sight radius is probably the greatest limitation to the accuracy...

RA: as for the .45ACP, the plan is to do a .45 super. a 200-230 grain soft point (dont think i would use a hollow point) going at 1300+ FPS will get the job done easily on a deer (IMO)

pickwickangler

I am gettin better with it. I had a leftover pumpkin from halloween, set it out at 50 yards and was able to put 6 out of 13 rounds in it :razz. If I had a holo sight, red dot, laser, or some thin blade iron sights I coulda definately done better :wink. I gots to get me some tritium sights and possibly a built in laser (replaces the guide rod).

Casey G

Great gun! :beer:

I have a XD 40 Sub Compact and Tactical and plan on getting a XDM 40 next month. I keep the Sub Compact in my truck and carry it when needed, the Tactical w/ XTI Procyon stays next to my bed. The XDM will be my new range gun.