Gel cracks

B

BP

Have some cracking where lower part of the jackplate meets the transom. Anyone else have this?
Jackplate bolts are tight.
Beside being ugly..... Is this cause for concern?

Bob

Butch Leslie

Mine is a 1992 model XB2002 and I have no cracking anywhere. It has been a rare occasion to see this issue brought up. I will be anxious to see what the general response is. Butch Leslie

B

BP

Butch, I have never seen the issue raised either. I guess thats whats got me wondering :shock: .
By the way its a 1994 XB2003 with 14" of setback.
Bob

Butch Leslie

I look at allison's all the time at the launches, and at the drags. and I just havn't seen any cracks. Does it look like just surface cracks that we see on gel coats on some boats, or does it look deeper? Butch Leslie

B

BP

Appears to be superficial as opposed to structural but I'm no expert on fiberglass technology.The hull is solid red and that area of the transom is flat or not as glossy as the rest of the hull....Maybe a previous repair?
I'm going to try and get some pics later.

Bob

CDave

I have some around the rear seat post holder on my XB2002, but that's the only place.

Skydog

MY 91 G.S.

Has a few around the swim rails on the back. But zero around the transom. My boat has hooked hard 90+MPH i think about 3-4 times in its life time, i can not belive there is not more.

Skydog :D

Trojanlarry

I'd call Allison to see if they can explain. No gel cracks is one of the reasons these boats are so well thought of.

JR

GEL COAT CRACKS

I would believe your transom has been field repaired. I too, have a Grandsport and have done 50+ bat turns in it [for fun] and the only cracks I have are where the factory bored the holes to insert the swim rails. I re-enforced the weakened area with a couple of layers of cloth / epoxy and have done 15 bat turns since.
JR

brotherxb03

I have a 1998 xb03 and it has 1 small stress crack on each side where the bump molding starts on the inside of the back wing where the flat aluminum trim stops. I bought it off ebay around last November from a nice con-artist in Florida and that was after that bad hurricane so no tellin what it's been thru. AS Forest Gump says stupid is as stupid does!

White Ally02

I have a 97 xb02 and no cracks of any kind so far, execpt for the little bullet console and it has some cracks from where the previous owner may have fell on it.