Future GS owner

Aa Hayes

Hello everyone!

I live up in Canada, one Georgian Bay out of Parry Sound Ontario area. I am currently running a 16' fish and ski with a Merc xri 150. Been playing with setup this summer, getter into mid 60's (not fast by any means) and she get chimey on me. The hull was never designed for these speeds. I also run a 1975 grew 235 which is converted to run an OB, I run a '98 200 ocean pro on that, it is my work boat.

I have grown up around boats of all kinds, from large cruisers to small aluminum boats. My wife and I have been talking about boat options for our growing family and with much reading, have decided we are very likely getting ourselves a Grandsport. We enjoy cruising, fishing, and going fast. The fish and ski will remain our fishing boat, but with the growing family is not ideal. We have a 2 year old son and a daughter coming in nov.

From what I have read, the grandsport is what we are looking for, I enjoy going fast, but enjoy bringing my family out with me for a cruise or some beach days and island camping.

I would love to see some pictures of the storage areas. Learning things like fuel capacity, how these boats handle small chop or active water ways at cruising speeds, if there is much of an Allison community in Ontario. And much much more!

We are in no rush to purchase another boat, so finding a great grandsport should hopefully work out well for our family. But still quite excited at the notion.

xr6

We run a GS in Ontario and love it!

Most of our boating is on a small and mid size lakes without many big waves or swell. Yesterday we ran at an event on Lake Scugog with 20 plus boats....several Talons, Skaters, Euros, Hydrostreams etc. There were some whitecaps and lots of chop running behind the faster boats which the GS managed quite well. IMO the Grandsport is excellent in those conditions but I think Georgian Bay on many days would be challenging.

Storage in the GS is great. We took along extra clothing, electronics, beach stuff etc. and stored it all in the rear compartments with room to spare.

Grandsports seem to be a rare find...especially in Canada. If patient, and you are willing to travel they come up for sale occasionally on the boating sites, Craigslist or Kijiji.

Aa Hayes

Thank you for the reply. How long have you been running the GS?

Yes there will certainly be days that the bay will be challenging. Our place is in an area where we can pick our direction of travel well depending on wind and wave direction. Does the boat perform will when just cruising with friends or family not up on the pad? Do you leave the boat docked at the cottage? I have read they have a low freeboard and maybe prone to swamping. Our dock is in a very quite and protected bay, and we park all boats with bow out.

Certainly willing to travel for the right deal, and certainly willing to wait for the right boat as well, it is not as though we are currently without a ride.

mxzx

I am another Grandsport owner in Ontario.
The GS is a fantastic all around boat! Cruise and do watersports all day and go fast too! Most of the summer I have it propped to just cruise around and pull the kids tubing, wakeboarding etc and it will still run 80mph with the small prop.
Freeboard is actually quite high on the GS, I have never had a wave come over the back. I leave my boat in the water all summer and never had an issue in the 9 years I have owned it.
They don't come up for sale very often up here but there is actually one on kijiji for sale right now that has been on there for a month or so. Here is the link
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/muskoka/allison-grandsport/1293357863?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Lotus 50

I got chased off Lake Simcoe today by waves and cruiser wakes. My SS2000 is a lot better in the rough than my brother's Charger DL or my old Hydrostream Virage, but it's not a big boat. Maybe you need a Tuff 21.

Aa Hayes

I frequent kijiji and saw the boat on kijiji, and in my research on here I actually found that boats owner and previous own and some discussions on the boat. Seems to be a well taken care of boat for sure. Not sure I am quite ready to drop the ash yet, have to do a kitchen Reno this winter. Though it has crossed my mind to go check it out or at least contact the seller for some more info.

Glad to hear that about you leaving your boat in and the freeboard, as I will be doing the same. Also glad to hear it is a good boat for cruising, as much as I love the idea of doing 80 or 90 mph I have young kids and would not put the, in that position.

I am pretty set on getting a GS, not really to worried about some short amount of rough rides if need be, we are able to pick our days pretty well. The quality of the Allison really rubs me the right way and I have never even seen one in person...

flying07

Had a GS powered by a mildly built 225 Promax. Loved it!! Most fun is the learning curve to drive them, unlike any other. As the saying goes, "I drive an allison because I can drive an allison!' haha. . . learning curve is great!! Build quality is superb, which is why used ones carry such good resale. There is actually a GS for sale on scream and fly right now, his did own's my old GS actually. Good luck, keep us posted!

RiverRat71

Aa Hayes

I spent the last couple evening reading through your entire thread "slow"
I really enjoyed the read! Some excellent information, I have saved in for future use!
I look forward to creating a similar thread, and I hope I can meet someone with a GS I can get some seat time with. I have no experience driving any pad v hull, though I run my fish and ski at speeds much higher than the hull was designed for which is by no means simple.

Looking forward to sitting my back end in a nice GS some day, hopefully not to to far off.

ROBERT CROSS

GS from WNY. We run the Eastern end of Lake Erie....Unsalted & Shark Free. Niagara River from Buffalo to the the Falls.
fullsizeoutput_1622.jpeg
Chop is a way of life around here, rare when the lake is glass. The GS does pretty darn well though.
The West Niagara along the Canadian Border is usually the calmest and is where we do most of our 'drifting picnics' it can get choppy though, depending on how large the pods of Orca are, the chop is bad enough, but a wakeboard roller can ruin your day.

No wind today, will be out shortly.:cool:

The GS does come with a nice 360* fishing chair.
fullsizeoutput_e5e.jpeg

Good Luck in your search....

Aa Hayes

Great to hear that you are running in bigger waters which some chop, I know boat water ways you are on, vaguely, but know how they can be.

Very cool swivel chair! Is that special order?
Also, read the thread about the loss of your GS #1. Very sad to hear. I guess that is one of the few ways to destroy an Allison.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!
Anyone know if there will be a GS being shown at the Toronto boat show this winter? I would look to actually see one in person. Though from all my reading, I am already in love!:D