Engine Lifting / Flywheel Puller

hack02

I bought a combination lifting ring - flywheel puller off E-Bay the other day. Eighteen bucks shipped. Looks like a pretty sturdy piece. I havn't used it but I screwed it into my flywheel and it threaded in nice and clean. Also has the thick spacer to protect the crank when pulling the flywheel. A guy in Chicago is selling them. Do a search for Mercury Flywheel Tool and the seller is mbsmfg. Comes with a plastic case. Maybe not the quality of the Mother Merc tool but no more than I'll use one it should do fine.
Thought I'd pass this on. I needed one not long ago and had to borrow Chummys. Nothing like new tools.

white03

I got one from the same guy as well. Used it to remove my 225PM and install the 280, and most recently to hold the motor while I adjusted the setback plate.

worked great for me and you can't beat the price.

Bill

jerryingeorgia

I made one last year....took my merc lifting ring, threaded the hole in the middle, screwed a bolt in it and used it as a puller. I put a metal disc on top of the crank to protect it.

The hardest thing for me was to hold the flywheel when I put it back on.....I need to get a tool for that.

BTW...this was used on my wife's pontoon engine...not my pro max.

280ALLY

I bought the same one.I just used it to pull my 280 off for new rings and piston/rod balancing.It worked great.for $18 you can't beat that.If anyone is gonna pull their powerhead off soon & need a puller,you need to buy one of these instead of the $60-80 mercury charges for one

K.Kiser

Does it thread to the inside of the flywheel, and if so is a lightened drag/lake racer style flywheel strong enough..?

hack02

They do screw into the hub of the flywheel. For lifting you wouldn't think a lightened wheel would be a problem as the hub should be the same. If theres a problem maybe one of the engine gurus will chime in.

Last edited:

ziemer

They do screw into the hub of the flywheel. For lifting you wouldn't think a lightened wheel would be a problem as the hub should be the same. If theres a problem maybe one of the engine gurus will chime in.
I've got one of the lift/pullers and used it a couple of weeks ago on my complete motor and then on just the powerhead. I've got a lightened flywheel that was done by Brendan Power and it wasn't an issue. As hack said, the hubs should be the same.