Emergency boarding ladder

Dave Hensley

Looks like it would be hard on the feet. Allison makes one that bolts horizontally across the bottom of the jackplate and has a flat step. The best way to get in a boat in an emergency, like going overboard in the winter with heavy clothes, trim the motor all the way down, straddle the mid and trim the motor all the way up.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like it would be hard on the feet. Allison makes one that bolts horizontally across the bottom of the jackplate and has a flat step. The best way to get in a boat in an emergency, like going overboard in the winter with heavy clothes, trim the motor all the way down, straddle the mid and trim the motor all the way up.
That is exactly what Darris told my wife one year when she was picking at him about no ladder on the Allisons.

G Allen

I like all the choices presented here. In a couple days I could very well be one of those guys doing a high speed low air temp cold water spill. Gonna use a very roomy anorak as a wind break over my clipped in vest. My old school lifeline will float me face up if I get knocked out. There is more chest fill on that thing than Dolly's boobs...

I am used to stepping on the cav plate and clambering up. Plan B is to go the Hensley route. I have exceptional upper body strength for a guy my age. Will be fine unless my right arm or collarbone gets broken. Then it will be a lot tougher. The trim switch is on the right side of the cowl pan... Of course I'm not planning on getting tossed, am a pretty cautious driver. But things do happen. At least I have more than one plan.

Jr in Jax

I had one just like it that I had to modify to fit my single ram 15" 2.5. When I went to the 300 XS it would not fit. I bought a $30 collapsible orange plastic/rope ladder that I store in the rear the side compartment where I can reach it from outside of the boat. My bass boat ladder was pretty much beat to death anyway by many hundreds of rough water running [my Garmin has broken the outside case three times and the mounting bracket four times]. BTW the hull goes to Jack Barsh next month to be resurfaced/gel coated due to my normal abuse

Allyfishing

View attachment 12538 You never know when you might have to get in the water . I had to retrieve my dog one day and this ladder was the only way I could have gotten back in the boat ! https://www.thebassboatladder.com

This is the one I have however I had a fellow Allison owner build me a different bracket that I attached to my JP. It's not hard on the feet and my wife loves it. Wouldn't go without one.