Culling systems

JWolff

I am not a balance board guy. I want to see numbers so i use a scale and bought an ardent set also. But havent used them yet. I used to write all my weights in a little 3x5 notebook so this should be way better.

Tim Powell

I've been using the Ardent cull tags and a accu-cull scale for about 5 years now....no complaints other than the accu-cull is not waterproof.

SLOmofo

When I dwelt with clones. I used a balance beam with a small black weigh bag at each end.
In a few of our lakes tournament weights would be VERY close a 1/10 meant a place.

Catch, weigh, tag, needle, done.

hirk

^^^^this if dealing with lots of clones but otherwise a good digital scale and the acu cull board with the dials to record weight each adjacent too a color to match the cull tag you put on the fish. If not lots of clones I usually just tag the smallest so I know which one to cull and guestimate the total weight

SLOmofo

Fish husbandry , https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=husbandry+definition.

Main Reasons why I did.
First. time management, I already had it in my hand, a wet hand. Unless the rare occasion of being on a school.
Note: I never touch a fish with a dry hand, removes their protective slime coat. How many fish have you seen with a fungus growth on their lower lip or across their back?

Second. Stress, chasing fish around in a live well trying to catch them again causes all of them stress. Stress will kill fish. A stressed fish gives off ammonia which causes the other fish stress.
Note: a dead fish kept in the line well, will kill the rest of the fish.

Third. I know how many fish at all times(I'm old, I forget). When I run out of tags I have to cull. In my state having over a limit is illegal, thus a DQ. In the rules of the tourmament , all fishing was suspended until the cull fish was back in the lake. Fish and Game at one time attempted to rule once a fisherman had a limit that fisherman was done for the day.

Enough preaching.

Catch and Release or a similar product.
Live well aeration on as soon as the first fish goes in.
Aerator modified to draw outside air for aeration.
An Oxygenation system works wonders(micro bubbles) esp in the hot water months, very low electricity usage, much less then running a pump....http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/searchresults.html#search=products&searchtext=live well&opt_page=1&opt_sort=alphaAtoZ&opt_perpage=20
I ran the pump on a timer to cycle the old water out. Yes I had to add chemicals during the day. 2/10 of a pound per dead fish adds up.