CLE on an XB2002?? what about set-back???

XB2002ALLISON

I just bought a 260 offshore with a CLE. It's got the water pick-ups in the bottom like a SM. If I would not have been told it's a CLE I would have though it was a SM painted black.
How will it work on my XB2002. It is at the Allison plant now having the bottom Blue Printed?
Should I send it off for a different nose cone, and/or some cutting on the skag??
Thanks
DR

SSTOM

CLE ON A 20002

YOU WILL NEED TO SEND IT TO HAVE A CONE AND HAVE THE SKEG MODIFIED. I WOULD ALSO RECOMMEND TO HAVE A TOUQRE TAB ADDED ALSO FOR EASIER STEERING. WITHOUT A CONE THE CASE WILL OLNY RUN ABOUT 90MPH BEFORE IT BLOWS OUT. 8)

XB2002ALLISON

Where to send it too??

Where and/or who would you or anyone else reading this post send a CLE to, to have these modifcations made?
Thanks
DR :twisted:

froggy

XB2002,

Send your CLE to Titus Grisham at Custom Marine & Welding in Killen, Alabama. Titus' shop used to be called Tooter's (Titus did the work while it was Tooter's). He fully welds the extended nose cone on so there is less possibility of epoxy failure. (256) 272-0500.

froggy

deadeye99

cle

I ran a cle on my xb03 225 pm for 9 years. I ran in the low 90's with no sign of blowout. Your 02 260 should run into the 100's. I have always been told the cle will blow out in the mid 90's. Too big of a risk in my opinion. Get that new titus mod or sell it and buy a sportmaster. My new 280 with a sporty handles so much better its a joke. Bob

XB2002ALLISON

What to do, what to do????

If I sent to to Titus and got the nose job, can he shape the bottom fin and add a torque tamer?
Has anyone had this done, know someone that has, or just got an opinion?
How will it compair to a stock Sport Master? I alway here that a stock Sport Masters performed better with some nose work and a little trim job on the bottom fin.
Let's here it.

David Lanham

I once ran a pro max CLE on my old XB2002, it consistently blew out at 91. Did the same on my Pro Sport.

I had a Bob

XB2002ALLISON

Bob's or Titus

Will I have to have the hose ran on the outside of the CLE gear case like Bob's M does it when adding a nose cone to a stock lower unit? Is that the way Titus does it too??
Thanks

Jimxb02

Yes, the " Titus "case is finished with an enclosed water passage.

I agree with the above posts. The "Red Book" published by Allison states that there is the potential for blow out at speeds above 90 MPH with a stock CLE: this has been confirmed by guys who post on this board.

I also have an XB2002 with a mod ProMax that has a Bob's modified CLE. This case was built for an Allison with the point of the bullet canted downward 3/8" from the center line of the prop shaft, a welded on blowout ring, and welded on torque tab.

This case performs very well at speeds close to 100 MPH, very stable, and good water pressure ( 15 to 20 PSI ) with prop shaft 1" ( one ) inch above the pad.

Good Luck!!!

Jim

Mr. Scary

The 90 mph story is not true at all. I've sold and set up countless Allisons (2002s, SS-2000, XB-2003, XS-2003) with CLE and never had one blow out because of the gearcase. I drove my SS 112 with a stock CLE and our first XB-2002 with a 260 and stock CLE 105. You just can't run the gearcase to the moon.

That being said, the CLE is not the fastest gearcase you can have. A Bob's Machine nosecone will run faster, and a Mazco Nosecone faster yet. I've heard good things about Titus, but for the price he gets for them, they should be plated with gold instead of paint.

I can't be sure, but it sounds like you're somewhat new to powering this boat with this kind of motor. My suggestion is that you can run the stock 260 now, but leave the gearcase a solid 1/2"-3/4" below the pad where you know you'll have good prop bite and good steering when you let off. Learn to drive the boat at those speeds and then you can send it off to have the nosecone done.

However, Allison's scare tactics regarding the 90-92 mph before the CLE blows out is just not true. I can make one blow out at 90, but you can also make it run fine at 105 MPH too.

Sam

XB2002ALLISON

Hello Mr Baker

If you the Sam Baker Sr. who lives or lived it Cressent City FL (not sure of the city part) I bought a PM 225 from you about 6 or 7 maybe more years ago. Me and my son drove down from here in east TN one night to your place earley in the morning and you had the XB21 on the water by lunch. I remember you talking about CLE's and how much you liked them over the SM's. That is something I never forgot and one of the reasons I did not mine the CLE on this 260 offshore I bought. Your right, PM 225's are about the most HP I have had on a boat. Since I was down there I have went through 2 XB2003's and am on a nice XB2002 now. I am having Allison Blue Print the bottom. The 260 has a bad cylinder. I have already bougth up 2 other blocks one with all the rotating parts, a SVS front end and a couple A-7 boxes. I am planing on building it right, ballaned and nicaseled with so machine work the exhaust chest and exhaust plate. Right now I am running a 200 EFI with 34cc heads drilled midsection, HP Tuner, Bosen reeds and a bob's alien cowling. I had a bobs nose job on the stock lower unit but some Chrokee rocks took care of it, thats why I am having the bottom blue printed, it need fixing anyway. The boat will run right at 90 with a 29pitch Hoss Trition. Prop shaft even with the pad. Anyway I hope you are doing well and it was nice to here from you.
Denver Rhodes

Skywagon

Mr. Scary said:
The 90 mph story is not true at all. I've sold and set up countless Allisons (2002s, SS-2000, XB-2003, XS-2003) with CLE and never had one blow out because of the gearcase. I drove my SS 112 with a stock CLE and our first XB-2002 with a 260 and stock CLE 105. You just can't run the gearcase to the moon.

However, Allison's scare tactics regarding the 90-92 mph before the CLE blows out is just not true. I can make one blow out at 90, but you can also make it run fine at 105 MPH too.

Sam
Agreed. I ran a stock CLE on my GS/260 well into the mid 90's several times with no sign of blowout. The previous owner ran it to 101 countless times with no issue also. It's just the set up and the driver. CLE's aren't the boogeymen that people make them out to be. True, they are a little short IMO and need a good cone for that extra insurance, but saying they are a "deathtrap" and aren't good for anything after 90 is just more internet bunk.

Bill

XB2002ALLISON

Now for another question

I just bought a hyd. jackplate. it's got 5 1/2 inches of set back. I believe the manual jack plate on the boat is around 10 1/2 inches. With the boat at Allison I can't mesure it right now.
What would be the right total setback? Would it matter which motor I am running the 260 or hopped up 200?
As always thanks for the help, I am new at setting up a XB2002.
Dr

Skywagon

As far as the total correct setback required for your 2002, I'll defer to the 2002 guys. In regards to the 260/200 question; In my experience less setback is needed as horse power goes up.

Bill