can't get them in the boat!

Speedman

Had only about 2.5 hours to fish today so launched the Ally in the dark at 6:30, headed to spot number 1, throwing a Senko, I hook into something big, only to have it come unbuttoned? Brother Dave throws at the same rock and has about a 2.5 lb smallie nail his grub and break him off, then jump a few times to rub it in! then I have another on a grub and it breaks me off, then Dave has a small one jump off. Go to spot 2 and Dave loses another 2.5 lb smallie as he is trying to lip him in! So now it's a game of whoever gets the Bass closest to the boat, wins. On to a new spot and the phone rings, it's Rivernut( my buddy with the 335 hp jet) For the last 5 times I have been out without him, when he calls I always catch one while talking to him. Sure enough, bam! 1.5 lb smallie on, I could lead the tourney, but no! it comes off too! Brother Dave is laughin at me. Time is running out, gotta be off the water at 9, so we head to a current break spot, I pitch in while the boat is drifting back, and bam, another one on...then off! What's the deal? hooks are sharp, hook set could rip your head off , I can't figure it out?, Brother Dave is laughing at me more, so I say " oh yeh, take this" and cast back and get a 2.5 lber on, I yell for the net, as I am not gonna lose this tourney today. He laughs some more and sais "forget it!" the current is way too fast for me to let off the TM so I go to swing him over the side, he comes up, into the boat and...Jim Bitter! bounces off the windshield and back in! Then we had to leave. So I won the day with the fish closest to actually catching it!

jimmyb

gotta hate it when you loose the fish...

this time of year, i find that smallies are so aggressive that they clamp onto the bait so hard, it is hard to get a good hook into them

at least you were out fishing!

fishmesser

Day like that make you wan't to pull up the t/m and burn som gas because it seem like you can't do anything right.

flatout

Does the word "Stinger" ring a bell? If they are hitting and not hooking up then slip on a short stinger treble on the back of the jig. It will actually hook them in the cheek or the tail sometimes! It has saved our bacon a couple of times! 8)

Speedman

don't like true turns, they spin the line too much. don't use stingers as I was fishing some fast current with alot of debris, Just had a bummer day, usually don't have hook up problems, just today, but the boat ran great and that's what made up for a bad few hours of fishing