Byron Nelson passed today!

RedAllison

"Lord Byron" passed today after a legendary and iconic 94 years. I am only an occasional golfer but I can truly love and appreciate men and professionals like Mr. Nelson. As much of a GOD as he was among the golfing greats and despite his 18 single season tournament wins of 1945 (11 of which were consecutive, a feat which is destined to remain unmatched) it was his continued love for "average life" that stood out most. His only real concern was to win enough prize money to buy a TX ranch and retire from the tournament life. I think his legacy will be as much for the true gentleman he was as it is for his talent on the links.

More and more professional sports figures today are hardly great heroes and examples for most adults, nevermind our children and future generations. "Lord Nelson" was as much a grandfather figure too the industry as he was a great player. If ever anyone was a "Moses or St. Peter" equivalent among the worlds population of golfers it was he.

The following direct quote speaks VOLUMES of him:

"I don't know very much," Nelson said in a 1997 interview with The Associated Press. "I know a little bit about golf. I know how to make a stew. And I know how to be a decent man."

As much as the first two probably means too the world, I think it the last sentence that is his most endearing trademark! :wink:

I NEVER get upset at the death of those who live such long, productive and giving lives. I just cherish those years we were given to share them and wonder if ANYMORE men like Lord Nelson will ever grace our world again?
RA