Budget for rebuild

Lotus 50

My mechanic friend says I should have him rebuild my 225 Promax. It runs great but it is over 20 years old. He says rebuild before it blows up

What does a rebuild cost? New Pistons rings reborn, bearings, what else is normal?

mxzx

Are you sure its never been apart? I was told my last promax had never been apart. When 1 cyl went down on me I found out 3 cyl were bored .015 and the other 3 were .030. Was not happy. Had to go .040 all 6. Rebuild ended up costing me over $3k canadian. Ended up selling the motor 2 years later for parts when the ecu crapped out.

procomp

Are you sure its never been apart? I was told my last promax had never been apart. When 1 cyl went down on me I found out 3 cyl were bored .015 and the other 3 were .030. Was not happy. Had to go .040 all 6. Rebuild ended up costing me over $3k canadian. Ended up selling the motor 2 years later for parts when the ecu crapped out.
how you liking that 200xs? It would be a nice motor on the new to me XB02. Wanna sell it back lol

Lotus 50

I know nothing of the engines history. When the propshaft broke the gearcase internals showed a lot of wear - but it might not have been the original gearcase. The powerhead might be a rebuild. Can't tell without opening it up. Maybe I should have a leakdown test done.

mxzx

how you liking that 200xs? It would be a nice motor on the new to me XB02. Wanna sell it back lol
The 200xs has been awesome! Running close to 90mph with only a 26" Hydromotive. Best part is it only uses around 3 gal per hr when just cruising around or pulling the kids on tubes or wakeboard. Will be keeping it forever:)

gmorgan

I know nothing of the engines history. When the propshaft broke the gearcase internals showed a lot of wear - but it might not have been the original gearcase. The powerhead might be a rebuild. Can't tell without opening it up. Maybe I should have a leakdown test done.
Just remove the heads and mic the cylinders to check out the wear and/or previous overboring. If you cant do it yourself, a dealer should not charge much to do the assessment and install a pair of new head gaskets.

gmorgan

So far WSM pistons have served me well for two years in my not gently used Super Magnum.