Boat Cribbing

Jon

Supporting Member
What have you all done to pull the boat off of the trailer and set up on cribbing? Or did you use straps? I have the ability to pull the motor, and lift the front or back of the boat in the shop, but I would not want to leave it suspended - I would rather set it on cribbing of some sort. Anyone have some experience with this?

F2008

With the boat sitting on the trailer, (as near to level as possible) the hydraulic jackplate was raised as high as it would go. I then built a cement block "pier" underneath the jackplate. For the front, I used two, 2"x6" 's ten feet long and deck screwed them together (making a 4"x6"x10' ) I then built two cement block piers in line with the bow eye and standing a little wider than the trailer fenders. I then put the 2x6x10 under the bow eye and padded it with a chunk of old carpet.. To raise the boat off the trailer I lowered the jack plate, (aren't hydraulics great) which then raised the boat up off the trailer. Then I just pulled the trailer out from under the boat. Once the trailer was out from under the boat, I put put the 4x4 support post under the center of the 4x6x10 for added security. The process proved very stable providing the cement block "piers" are made straight and level. I took the trailer out from under the boat this way a few times, once to paint and refurb my trailer, another time to change the bunk carpet from grey to black and another to weigh my trailer with and without the boat. Never an issue.

nort

Don, that's very cool!!
I made a frame out of 6x6 PT timber. Good quality castors on the bottom side for mobility and 2.5" foam on the top side for the hull to sit on.
Pm me an email or cell # and I'll forward pics you can post.
Cheers

Jon

Supporting Member
And Don... Thats my kind of genius. I have a sling to run as a secondary system too, but did not want to solely rely on it to hold the weight. I will run your system and the sling just in case while I work on the trailer and the pad. Thanks for the pics!

whipper

pad...!!:gasp :twisted evil ive done my lip and some pad work a lot!! Chad and others helped when I would post pics on hear. I saved a good PM from a member Ill pm it to ya.

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
I'm also fixing some light surface scuffs toward the front which annoy me. The boat is very bow high when sitting still as you know, and it won't take much to make it right.

tony Atwell

Thanks for the photos f2008. Gonna start on getting mine off the trailer next week so I can show it (the trailer) some love. I run in brackish water here in jacksonville. So the poor ol trailer gets it ruff. It gets dipped then sits all day. The boat gets to go straight home and get a bath.

tony Atwell

Not sure I could sleep with it ten ft iin the air :eek:. Did find several old tires and thrue under it two high. She should be just fine but just seeing it with nothing under it make ya nervous.

tony Atwell

She's been off the trailer since saturday. Dropped trailer off at sand blasters this morning. Hope to get it back by the weekend. Got under there and did some of that myself tonight. Will try and get the other side tomorrow. 20151213_174700.jpg

tony Atwell

Back from sand blaster and primed. Have all new aluminum hard ware for it and spring's. 20151219_083830.jpg and of course all new led lighting for it. Going back white with May be some black pin strip. New ally decals.

Last edited:

tony Atwell

This one is still in really good shape for now. Hope to get 4 ta 5 more seasons out of it. Dropped it off at the painters this afternoon should get it back by Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday. Thanks for checkin in.

scj

Not sure what type of paint you're using but I know Boatmate sprays clear over all their painted white trailers to keep them from dulling.

Looks good!

nort

Not sure I could sleep with it ten ft iin the air :eek:. Did find several old tires and thrue under it two high. She should be just fine but just seeing it with nothing under it make ya nervous.
How's this for hangin around??
This is what happens when you run outta room!image.jpeg