Best setup?????

dave h

I currently have a fish/ski boat. Which mostly lends itself to the ski portion. I use the boat to fish more than ski, but do use it with the family. Skiing and tubing and such. I recently fished in a tournament and that is where I saw the Allison for the first time. I really liked how it lended itself more to the fishing side than skiing. I guess what I am after is your opinions on which layout works best for fishing with a bit of family fun. Also I do not need to go 100mph. Call me a sissy, but I would rather have an all around good setup.

Thanks ............

Stace

XB2003

The Xb2003 with ski pole and a 150-225 Hp mota. Hyd jackplate isn't a must but sure makes it alot easier for diff. setups and diff. props. A 150 hp would be plenty but once you learn to drive it you'll want more. Just got mine this spring and it's kinda hard to find them used with less than a 200. ALLY gurus turn to chime in. John Yeller Red Gotmyally and all. :D :D Stace

RB in NM

You can NOT beat the XB-2003 for the Ultimate Fish/Ski rig,, period.
Stick a 150 on her and still outrun 99% of the other bass boats with 225 hp out there on the water. It seats five, with more storage room than any other hull on the water to boot.
strip her down and set the water on fire !

Russ

GotMyAlly

Don't lump me in with the "Ally gurus"....I'm still learnin' too...every time I'm on the water.

But I will chime in with my $.02 worth....

As for skiing, what little I've done with my boat, it pulls just like other bass boats. Prop it right and it'll pull great. But I like to wakeboard and no bass boat is gonna throw a nice wake in comparison to a mastercraft and all bassboat hulls are gonna get pulled around a little when somebody cuts out hard and digs in with a wakeboard or a slalom ski. Basically, it ain't a mastercraft but it will get the job done...just getcha a good ski pole and a low pitched 4 or 5 blade prop.

For tubing, the Allison lacks a good tow point. The transom tie downs are really too close to the center to use for a tow point and I wouldn't recommend pulling a tube from a ski pole.

One area where the Allison does shine over other bass boats for family outings, skiing, etc, is the seating. In an XB2003 you can seat 5 comfortably (or 4 if you have a center steer setup). The layout is what really sold me on Allisons before I ever set foot in one. The wind protection in the XB2003 is great and if you get one with side by side seating, both you and your partner are protected from the elements.

You said yourself that you fish more than ski.....and the Allison is great for that. I've had several other boats with traditional bass boat layouts and the Allison fishes great. It is a little narrow but unless you are a really big bubba it won't take long to adjust.

You may say now that you aren't interested in running 100, but believe me when I say that speed is an addiction. The nice thing about the Allies is that you can have a good all around conservative setup and still run 90+. Like was said above, they run great with 150s on 'em, but you'll want more. I think just about everybody that powers 'em with anything less than a 225 PM seems to upgrade to a new powerplant in just a few years (if not sooner). But with the 150, it'll still run by most 225 powered tritons and be VERY efficient.

But the best advice I can give ya...find somebody near you that has an A-boat and spend a day on the water in one. But be prepared, one ride and you'll be boat shopping.

J

John Richied

Yep, a XB-2003 with a 150 and you will be one happy man, but in time you will want a 225 so get it with one to start with...

Best part is, the hull will last you a life time... the engine, well ya never know. :p

dave h

Thanks guys, I am obviously new to the Allison world. Is there alot of difference between the XB2003 and the Xb-21? Also, where is the nearest dealer from northern IL?

GotMyAlly

I have an XB2003 and I have seen an XB21 up close but never been on the water in one. Parked side by side, the XB21 is considerably larger. Also the XB21 is offered in a more traditional layout as well.

From what I hear, the two are very close as far as speed goes when they are loaded; unloaded I think the XB2003 will slowly pull away.

B

BP

Dave H....No Illinois dealers that I am aware of. There are alot of good dealers as many will attest to on here,but nothing close. Where in Illinois are you? I have an XB2003 and usually hit the Chain O Lakes ,Fox Lake etc. on Thursday for the boat races.

I would be happy to take you out in mine for a spin.

Bob

J

John Richied

This is NOT first hand experience but I think the XB-2003 will beat the new XB-21’s in acceleration and top speed with the same horsepower. If money is a factor you can find a used XB-2003 VERY reasonable and if the owner took any kind of care of it even being 10 plus years old it will look like new.

Check out the Allison’s For Sale link on this site… You just might find what you’re looking for. :wink:

Welcome to the world of high-performance fishing... :mrgreen:

dave h

Has the interior design of the 2003 changed much over the past 10 years?