Anybody fished the Bear Creek area of Pickwick lately?

SmallJaw

Timmy Horton is putting on a big time state-wide high school bass tourney out of Big Bear this Saturday May 18th. I'm sucking it up big time and letting Trevor captain my boat with my high school team to fish it while I go to a nephew's wedding! (Oh goody!:very sad) What a thrill for the kids to meet Timmy and fish in his inaugural state tourney. Charles Clemons, our high school coach, helped to teach Timmy how to fish the big tourney's many years ago. Not long ago Timmy called him out on his TV program and said it was Charles and another guy who really helped him survive on tour. Well,....I digress, sorry! LOL. Back on point; Anybody know anything about what the fish are doing down around Big Bear and JP Coleman area? Remember this is mostly 15-16 year olds or younger kids so deep water patterns don't work for them right now. Cranking type baits or shallow jig or T-rigs do set up good for kids like this. Thanks! Johnny:wink

GotMyAlly

I was there last week. Went under the train bridge and flipped bushes. Caught a number of smaller fish, but I think the bigger fish have moved on out. Caught a few fatter fish, but no hawgs, when we moved to deeper water. Not necessarily open water patterns, just lay-downs with tops in deeper water. I think the spawning action has wrapped up and the fish are on their way to summer patterns.

SmallJaw

Normally, over the years, I have fished the deeper creeks feeding into the main river like Bear, Panther, etc. but the fish I would target right now are too deep for the kids to really catch unless they toss some really deep diving crankbaits. That is an option I will get them to try. If there is any fresh grass up above Waterloo that might be a good bet for them too. Thanks for the info. It's good to have that 1st person experience. I plan on going down next week a couple of time at night for some smallmouth fun. I won't go below the steam plant most likely. Upriver is usually good right now. I don't trust my boat in Trevor's hands running that far just yet. He's a grown man but the temptation might be too great to not mash the pedal on down and possibly get into some trouble. LOL. If I keep them close to Big Bear I'll feel better.:big grin