Allyfoil?

Stace

Do these help much with holeshot and can you stay on plane at slower speeds with one? Kids are a little young yet to be whippin on the tube and can only take about 15 mph and dad dosen't like luggin the motor and burnin all that fuel pushin water. I've reduced setback from 15.5 to 11.5" and set the hyd plate so the prop shaft is dead even with the pad at the top of its stroke. That lets me bury the prop 3.5" below the pad. Might have to get a 14' alum. boat with a 15 hp till the kids can handle it. Thanks in advance for any and all advice. Stace

brotherxb03

I have a bob's and took it off trying to deal when first learning to drive it.I didn't notice much of a diffrence,but my boat has a killer hole shot either way.

J

John Richied

If you’re running a 2.5 Merc the best thing to do it prop WAY down… Luggin a 2.5 Merc is not good on the engine at all.

Heck, buy a cheap 19 pitch aluminum prop or pick up a used Highfive for towing the kids on the tube and YES a foil helps with holeshot and planing without a doubt.

sidvishus

I run the ALLY FOIL on my tunnel and it allows me to stay on plane alot slower and my holeshot is much better when I have a boat load of people and fuel...

sid

Stace

Thanx

I got a 21 trophy I'm gonna try and am going to order a Allyfoil. (The holes are already in the cav. plate.) Does anybody sell skid plates or do you guys just make your own? Do you use foam or balls for floatation? Wish I could make it to the rally to see all the custom mods. but have limited vacay time. Stace

J

John Richied

The 21 pitch Trophy should work great. With that and the Allison foil you should be pretty happy. We build our own skid plates and I don’t use the floatation foam or balls but some guys do. If I remember right there was some talk about the Allison factory producing some skid plates, but I am not sure when they will be available.

Loading weight forward in the boat helps too...

Stace

Thanx John!!! If my propshaft bearing and seals make it in by Fri. I'll be spinning that 21 wheel on Sun. I'll call Bill and get the allyfoil on its way and will also inquire about the skid plate. I'm sure I could build one if I seen a couple.. Thanx again for all your help. Stace

J

John Richied

Here is a shot of my skid plate. I think keeping it simple and mounting it low works best. When you mount one flat on the bottom of the jackplate, its mounted too high. When you are on a plane its out of the water anyway so try to mount it lower and you will get better results.

JR

My Solution

Stace,
My solution to pulling skiiers and wakeboarders was to buy one of the Honda turbo PWCs. The Honda has the power to pull the heaviest skiier up on slalom and tracks very well during a slalom run. It is much better for teaching kids since the reverse will allow you to "hover" in one spot, no matter how windy it is while your kids get ready on the end of the rope.
We even pull the parasail with it. The thought of 2-3 dollars being subtracted from my $3500.00 sportmaster gearcase, each time I shifted in/out of gear[while skiing] made the Honda much more economical. We also take it with us on vacations to explore shallow rivers and lakes.
JR

deadeye99

foil

The foil will help you plane with almost no bowrise and let you stay on plane down to about 15. I agree with the pwc idea. I have 7 summers on my sea doo pulling the kids tubes. Can't be beat. Much as I hate them when fishn they do have a purpose. Bob

GotMyAlly

Hey JR...what size jet ski does it take to pull up a wakeboarder?

I've been wantin' to buy one to use in the lake behind my house. I wakeboard behind a mastercraft X-star on the weekends and there is no better wakeboard boat than that, but I'd like to have a jet ski in the lake behind my house so I can get in some late afternoon runs during the week. There is no boat ramp and there is a 2-3' drop off all the way around the lake. Getting a boat in or out would be impossible.

There is a Polaris 750 in the paper and a kawasaki 650 that I am going to look at this week. I don't want to spend a lot on one because I am probably going to leave it out in the water most of the time and only use it to pull a wakeboarder so I really don't care how fast it is on the top end.