Allison vs STV or, not an "Allison Boat For Sale" thread

Darth VMAX

What kind (brand) of boat holds the world speed record that had the moster V8 Evinrude on it? What is crazy is if you watch the documentary they said it had a LOT more in it (200 mph) but they established the record (crushing the old record) and were satisfied with doing that. Amazing that the record is still standing near a quarter of a century later.

suicidealli

Takes big marbles to run 130+ in an ally.JMO I went 118 with a 26p and 123 with a 28. Not sure about 130, but upper 120's Forsure. I have no desire to go any faster. My choice for big mph would be a Hydro. I had a Pugh hydro that went 154 in the 1/4 mile with an omc. Not when I had it tho. I chicken out and sold it.. I had a drag on it with a speed master. That is when I bought the ally drag. Decided I didn't need to go faster 120. Mine was like sitting on the couch at 120, but a gust of wind I would have been done.

Rusrog

What kind (brand) of boat holds the world speed record that had the moster V8 Evinrude on it? What is crazy is if you watch the documentary they said it had a LOT more in it (200 mph) but they established the record (crushing the old record) and were satisfied with doing that. Amazing that the record is still standing near a quarter of a century later.
I am pretty sure that was a Karelson Hydro that set the 176 mark. I think I remember them saying that it had run a best of 185 or so but holding it through the kilo, in both directions was tough to do. Pretty impressive either way...

ally101

Guido ran 171 peak when he set the 160 mph kilo in a DAC. Was right on the edge, but any way you look at it that is smokin. Big end on your Seebold without the bottle would take big balls.
Don't know how fast a seebold has been I know that Tim has went 156 and said at 140 he could eat a ham sandwich and after 140 he said it was getting to be a hand full

RBT

Like Dixon said, he could drive 143-5 all day in the Stv..... It was the next bump of the trim that made **** get wild.

It was a karleson hydro. And from mr garbarect himself, that fast with just 400 hp ( Dyno, not marketing bs! )

randybob

realy makes think how good glen was in 1987 0n his run, there is stock motors that have as much power as he had then.is it that the boats are at the limit of driveable
speed just wondering ??????

K.Kiser

I remember reading about what glen estimated his engine hp to be, but it wasn't huge power, I don't remember exactly but no more than 270 from what I recall.. And that boat actually went 136, just not long enough for a higher kilo average.. Cut drag motors these days are making upper 300's+.. I'm not sure a 400hp drag could live or not being hammered for distance but certainly one that could would still have 350hp++... And that's open cockpit, 20"exh, shiftable gearcase with a thru-hub prop

RBT

UIM f1 engines are 400, and they live punishing them. When they were unrestricted, over 400 hp.

whipper

Wouldn't it matter when and where a motor made its HP for these kind of top end runs? Again back to Glens 130-136mph runs with a 2.4 bridgeport for instance over what the Drag has achieved? For Quick the 300 drag to 100 makes sense with a 23-24. But 29-30 pitch props going for longer stretches and top speed maybe not so much? Im don't have a clue asking what you guys think about that? I would think toque higher in the band would be a big factor.

Mirage,STV and Allisons to 100 my moneys on Allison with same weight hull using the same motor out of best of 10 tries. After that the tunnel can eek out higher top speeds with the right prop and gear case as so many 140+ examples have proven. Different beasts in there own right. The fact that that a vee hull is even in a comparison against a tunnel says something about Allison's vee Apples to oranges. King of Vees for sure.

randybob

i agree that allison is king of the v 's and not shure that the two boats should be raced in the same class but that being said they do and it looks like the training wheels are kicking *** and taking names and remember i dont own a a stv style boat or a boat that runs 100 mph just saying what glenn did in the eightys was pretty special

RBT

I am partial to Owens record, side water pickups.

WTSJR66

I saw Kevin Mumford bolt a as cast 28 mach chopper copy on his XR2001 in the mid 90s and make three 132 to 133 passes on the Altamaha with a 260 and an XR6 case,measured with a stalker radar gun. I believe Keith from the Big Boys Toys had a camcorder and filmed one of the passes.
Always wondered how fast he could have gone if they were serious about it?

randybob

knowing Larry and kevin they are both serious about going fast if you dont think they are try to out run them with any kind of a boat

Dave Hensley

I saw Kevin Mumford bolt a as cast 28 mach chopper copy on his XR2001 in the mid 90s and make three 132 to 133 passes on the Altamaha with a 260 and an XR6 case,measured with a stalker radar gun. I believe Keith from the Big Boys Toys had a camcorder and filmed one of the passes.
Would like to see the video. That is strolling.

XXXR2001

This is a joke right?:LMAO:

andre

Larry Mumford knows how to make a Allison fly. I remember him having many in the 80s when i was young . Very good Merc. mechanic also.