Allison Stability?

mootsb

Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could ease my mind about our recent allison purchase, we just bought an allison grand sport elite from JMC in Arkansas, we live up in Minnesota (just a little background). I am just a little nervous about the stability about these boats, they just feel so tippy and I am probally over reacting, but feel like we are going to tip over???? I am very confident with my boyfriends ability to drive the boat, although he is more intersted in getting to the top speed possible, and from our other posts everyone keeps telling him SEAT TIME, and he is going out practicing, but my main concern is the type of lake we are going to and going 50,60,70+ mph. The lakes are VERY rough and wavy, lots of traffic, is this extremely dangerous, or am I over reacting again? I don't feel nearly as nervous when we are on calm waters, and was able to just kick back at 70, but these rough waters scare the *@&% out of me :shock: Also how safe is this boat for our kids? Ages three and four? Sorry for the long post, just curious any advice/suggestions? :?

catfish123

I have an XB2003 and the lake I boat on can get very rough too, much like the water you describe. Allison boats do ride fairly well but common sense should never be put aside in order to attain high speeds when conditions aren't farorable. I may be pretty conservative however there are many times on our lake that 30- 40 mph is plently fast enough and sometimes even a complete stop is the best choice. A rough, pounding ride is no fun for anyone and I'm sure that although these boats are built great, the jarring does take it's toll on some of the equipment. I love running fast but I choose my times in order to ensure the safety of my family and myself. My wife does not mind 70+ mph in pretty good conditions.

JR

Grandsport

I have a Grandsport too and are always taking people for their first ride in an Allison. They can not believe how good it rides, even in the high 80's. The need for seat time and good judgement are always necessary, but the Grandsport and the SS are the safest hulls there is.
The only thing your boyfriend has to remember is just not to dump the power, even when approaching a big wake. Dumping the power in an Allison is never a good Idea, but trimming down and slowing down before hand is, and he'll soon get used to this.
You'll love your new toy as much as we love ours....
JR

John S

Where in MN are you? This may sound stupid/ obvious, but if you are close to a bigger lake (whitefish chain in Brainerd, lake vermillion, etc). This is the way I got a lot of seat time without crossing the path of others.It might be better for him try running alone when trying to go faster, because the only thing thats harder to do than learn to drive an allison is ride with someone who is tryng to learn to drive an allison! (just ask my fiance) Most of all seat time+ common sense = fast& safe. If you're by forest Lake, thats where I run. I'm no expert, but I'm a helluva a lot better than when I first got this thing. Would love to run with ya if your interested.

John S :D

mootsb

We are in Maple Grove, about 34 miles from you, Nick's good friend lives that way and we are up there quite a bit. That would be great to meet and get suggestions, check out the boat, etc. we should maybe set something up to get together. Not too many Allison owners up here. Had to drive to Arkansas to get the boat. Let us know when you are out or going out next and maybe we could meet up.

Thanks for the info!

Missy and Nick

John S

Just got back from a work retreat on Gull Lake, the first lake I've ever been on that goes from 50' to 2' in a blink. Someone must have smacked the buoy for the rock ridge. Thankfully, I missed all the stones. On sun. I was planning to go out on forest lake, but I'm flexible (we're trying to start a sunday morning screwdriver drift ritual :D ). Call me at 651-238-9862, and we'll figure something out.

John S

mootsb

Perfect, Nick will be back tommorw morning or should I say this morning! I will give you a call and maybe we could hook up! So Gull wasn't the best for the prop huh? When do you usually get going to get out on the lake? Let us know our number is 763-425-1678!

Look forward to seeing your boat!

mootsb

P.S. The screwdriver ritual sounds GOOD! Although I am a BIG coors lite fan, so I may have to add to the screwdriver ritual with a little coors lite! :D :D :D :D

wally II

Hot boat "meet" in your area next weekend

Mootsb,

You should try to make the hot boat gasthering next week(sat. the 17th) on Clear Lake west of New Ulm MN. Close to where you are at and you could learn a lot about driving your new boat as well as seeing other fast boats in action.
I own a Grand Sport too(my second) and can state that once you master them, they are a breeze to drive-in the rough stuff or in calm water.
Hope you can make it, always good to see other Grand Sports.