All around performance setup?

NoviceDave

I have an XB2003 w/ 280 and 14" of setback. Most of the time we talk about setup for topend numbers. I guess probably because that is the easiest thing to quantify. While I would like the best of every world I have come to the conclusion that acceleration, handling, and holeshot are the most important characteristics in that order for the type of running I do. With most of us these qualities are measured by seat of the pants feel. Kind of putting them in the opinion catergory so maybe that is why they are not discussed very much. I would like to open the discussion.

What setup changes do you make to get our boats to accelerate and holeshot better? Is it different for a light load versus a heavy load? Is less setback better for these qualities? Is lowering the prop shaft better for these qualities?

I've experienced a difference in props as it pertains to these qualities but what qualities are mutually exclusive? My 26 ET feels like it accelerates better than my 26 HPD but my HPD handles better than the ET. Can you get one prop to do both things? When I speak of handling I am mainly speaking of the ability of the prop to hold the water and keep the hull stable in turns, over rough water, and when decellerating. What about load carrying ability and acceleration? Can you get one prop to do both things?

Finally, what props have you folks come across that meet these qualities?

Thanks,

alli ss

I have the same rig. I use a 26ET for all round good stuff. still outrun folks and carries a load well. I am set about 1/4 to 1/8 below the pad and never have to move it. set it and forget it (like the ronco guy says)