Adding Floatation Inside the Jackplate XB2002 - Drainage Issues

CarolinaBurt

Guys, many of us just participated in a long thread about on-board battery chargers with surprising concerns raised - those worried about weight. I've owned my '02 for 20 years now after purchasing it new in 1997. It has always sat low in the water at rest. The sponsons actually will go under if I walk to the back on either side. The Promax SS has built-in 1.5" setback and along with the 10" Allison "short shaft" jackplate, there is a lot of weight back there.

So, several years ago I added an inflatable exercise ball that fills the entire void area between the transom and engine - top to bottom/side to side. While this really does improve the "at rest" floating height, I have two problems -
First is that the splashwell drain is covered by the ball. The well does not drain at all. Even if I lower the ball below the drain, the escaping water has nowhere to go. I've tried different sizes and styles - same issues.
Second is that "If the ball deflates, loses air for whatever reason while at speed - the large, rubber/plastic ball material is now free to fall or be shaken out of the bottom of the void in the jack plate only to find it's way over the pointed Sportmaster gearcase, block water intakes, damage the prop, or just make a huge mess of a blow-out or steering crisis.

So, I've raised this question - what are you guys using and what have you done to fix the drain and lost ball potential? Yea, I know a diet would help, but I've been 240 most of my adult life.....not likely to be the skinny one in the room anytime soon! Gordon

chad202

I have a plate on the bottom of my jackplate. That fixes the loosing ball issue. As far as the drain, I keep a shammy in my boat and I get off the water, I just put the shammy back there and absorb the water. You can probable get a thru-hull tube to put in that hole and route a hose out from the ball.

CarolinaBurt

Chad, is the plate one that you made/attached or is it one of the Allison holeshot plates? Post a photo or two?

Thanks, Gordon

chad202

Can't post pic right now. I do not have an allison jackplate or the holeshot plate. I have a rapidjack with a plate on the bottom of it.

chad202

I love mine. I ran this plate on my xb2003 and now my xb2002. It's 14". I know that's more than what most people run but it's what I like. I like the leverage to be able to fly the bow at low speeds to carry my fishing loads.

gmorgan

How about this, Burt? It fills the entire cavity between the top of the jackplate and the skid planer. It provides something like 120 pounds of bouyancy, maybe more.8181EEE0-A116-4BB8-8885-4E21B14D3053.jpeg

CarolinaBurt

Uh....wow! That one is way over the top for me. I was thinking of using a 2-part closed-cell pour foam to fill the void between the transom and outboard. If I use foam, I could add a 1/2 circle of PVC to create a drain void next to the transom. The ball has to go - too much risk of deflation and I don't want to think about the ball and/or bungees getting tangled with the gearcase and water intakes.

Flyman

Uh....wow! That one is way over the top for me. I was thinking of using a 2-part closed-cell pour foam to fill the void between the transom and outboard. If I use foam, I could add a 1/2 circle of PVC to create a drain void next to the transom. The ball has to go - too much risk of deflation and I don't want to think about the ball and/or bungees getting tangled with the gearcase and water intakes.
I don’ use any floatation device within the jackplate myself, but I have seen others use multiple balls, thus eliminating drainage issues. One advantage of having the rear end low in the water is that it is much easier to get back in the boat after you fall out of the boat, I know from experience. LOL

CarolinaBurt

Flotation/buoyancy is a tough subject and is going to be hard to achieve externally. Water weighs approx 62 lbs per cubic foot (1,728 cubic inches). My jack plate's internals are approx 15" wide x 8" length x 15" tall for a maximum total of 1,800 cubic inches or 62 lbs maximum flotation/buoyancy and that's only if you could fill every square inch of internal space with 2 lb foam (which a ball will never do). I don't think that it's practical to go inside. It's too bad someone doesn't offer external "blocks" that could attach around the jack plate to provide additional flotation at rest and be removable when fishing is not on the menu, for trailering, and storage. Perhaps the transom eyes could be used for anchoring and quick removal.

I know this buoyancy issue seems crazy to anyone not having a XB2002, but with a big outboard, jack plate, full fuel tank, water in the livewell, 2 big batteries, internal trim pump/tank, oil injection tank, and a fishing partner - my little '02 sits very low in the water. It is during these 2-man trips that I'd love to have more external buoyancy.

Just rambling.......!

xb03

4D740E99-744E-4EED-9985-C3C1E726CA91.jpeg I run 2 basketballs in my jackplate, and my transom eyes are almost 2” out of the water with no one on the boat. I've seen some xb2003’s running 3 liters with the eyes underwater with no one on board lol.

local103racing

I love mine. I ran this plate on my xb2003 and now my xb2002. It's 14". I know that's more than what most people run but it's what I like. I like the leverage to be able to fly the bow at low speeds to carry my fishing loads.
Thanks chad I’m getting the same thing I’m using the stock 10 inch Allison plate with a 4 inch land&sea im thinking I’m done with that setup it’s just to hard dialing the boat in with it and it’s a heavy setup as well

xb03

Maybe a square rubber inner tube style device should be designed for the jackplate that will blow and deflate through a valve for when you don’t need it to fish with ! Xb03 that’s a really nice bracket for your ladder ! Did you make it ?
Thanks, yes I made the bracket we use it for skiing and tubing mostly.

allimax

I had these lying around so tried this. I have 2 seasons on them now and have only checked the air once. Wasn’t sure how it would work out but I must say it’s been rock solid. Not tied down just deflate, shove them in there and pump em up. Bought the rear up quite a bit and drains well.

Attachments