Aaarg I is hearbroken...

RedAllison

As I said, this weekend was my oldest sons first juvenile gun season. We had practiced a little bit with his new .243 already, and based on those results I figured he was at his max at around 80 yds.

Saturday morning we saw several bucks including an old 10 ptr that I had seen everytime I bowhunted this year but the buck was 200yds away so we didn't try for him. We saw a large "cull" 7ptr but couldn't set up on him likewise. So around lunchtime I carried him to our range and we shot my 22/250 and his .243. He could hit a 3" diamond with my 22/250 at 200yds and put 2 or 3 in that same diamond from 100yds with his .243. That was from a table and with the gun in a Lead Sled. But he got confident and I figured heck at least he would be good for 150+ if in one of my shooting houses while seated in a hydraulic chair and shooting from a rocksolid windowsill.

Saturday afternoon we set up in one of my houses and shortly that large 7pt cull steps out at 175. Mitchell didn't think he could hit it so I didn't push him to. Then and even bigger cull, a huge 6ptr stepped out about 30 minutes later. I CAME TOO ATTENTION!!! Traveling with the big 6 all during bowseason was a 24" (inside spread) 8 pt MONSTER. I warned Mitchell to get ready and no more got the words out of my mouth when the big brute stepped right into the field. I remained calm hoping it would keep Mitchell calm. But the buck was 200yds and moving farther away. I have killed 2 bucks from this place that both are over 20" inside and this bucks DWARFS them. He is a high 140class 8 at minimum and that is a MAMMOTH 8ptr!

We wathed the bucks feed for over a half hour, watched many other deer and then waited on darkness to sneak out silently on my golf cart. Mitchell was talking about how big that buck was and how massive he was. I was happy he realized he shouldn't take the shot.

So this morning we snuck back into the same shooting house and waited dawn. At 6:15 a group of bucks came out 120 yds across the field. 3 small yearlings and two nice 2.5 yr old 8 ptrs (about 16" each). I was glassing them when I saw the giant 6 step out, my heart jumped into my throat. I was about to tell Mitchell to prepare for the 8 when he stepped right out and Mitchell saw him and got excited. We both were a bundle of nerves I suppose. I tried to remain calm, as calm as you can with that kind of buck standing 130yds away and your son holding a rifle in his hands. I actually got up and swapped chairs with Mitchell and he took a steady rest and I told him to take the shot when he was comfortable and the buck wasn't walking.

Finally the buck stood still and the lil rifle barked. Instantly the buck stiff legged it into the woods. The other bucks all just stood there. Mitchell said he felt like it was a good shot and I thought just by watching that he had hit the buck by it's sudden "get outta Dodge" run. We sat for 40 minutes until the other bucks left, we got down, went back too the truck and then drove too the spot the buck had been standing. I couldn't find one drop of blood, flesh, hair... NOTHING! The woodlot behind it is relatively small (less than 20 acres) and X shaped so I walked it out entirely. Never saw any blood or heavy "injured" tracks in the leaves or at any of the major crossings. I walked out every ditch and bank and looked in every fallen top and overgrown area. NOTHING! :cry: :cry: :cry:

My heart is broken. I have watched this buck for the last month and was more excited about my sons chances of taking him than I was of my own chances. Initially I thought while watching the shot (with my eye, damnt I didn't watch through binoculars!) that he hit him. But I just can't believe that a .243 with 100grn Hornady Custom Interlock BTSPs wouldnt've at least put SOMETHING on the ground if he had hit him. I wasn't expecting the buck to fall dead in his tracks, but that lil bullet shoulda drawn blood if he had hit him? :?

I really don't think Mitchell fully understands just what kind of buck that was. He knew he was MUCH larger than anything else we saw this weekend but I don't think he understands that he probably wont see another 8 alive like that in half a lifetime (I have only seen 1 other 8 that was larger than this one and that one was in MO). My only hope now is that he did NOT hit the buck now and that possibly we will get another crack at him later in the season. 1st Muzzleloader opens next Saturday and my smokeless Savage is READY and God I hope I see that 8 again, moreso just to know that my son didn't loose his first buck too fate!

I am much more upset about it than he,
RA

jimmyb

bummer, i hate missed shots...

hopefully you will see that big one running around in the next few weeks