A day 34 years in the making...

RedAllison

It's HERE! My oldest son Mitchell turned 10 today and I gave him a Remington Model 7 .243 Synthetic Youth rifle with a 2x7x32 Nikon Monarch scope. In about an hour we are going to go shoot it at my father-in-law's place. Mitchell took the Hunters Safety Course this summer (and passed with flying colors!) and is now legally ready to hunt deer in TN this year. TN has a special Juvenile Deer Season next weekend and I don't know who is more excited, Mitchell or myself? :D

I always have dreamt of my own son's being old enough and wanting to hunt with me, now the memories are beginning. All 3 of my kids enjoy going with me (tho my 7 year old daughter is being pursuaded by Michelle to go too the mall with her while "the guys" go hunting) and I am sure they will all hunt, but there's just nothing like that first time they are actually behind the trigger. It's like my first trip allover again... My youngest son Stanton will be 6 next year and he will then be old enough to hunt in the Juvie season as well (TN changed the minimum age this year from 10 too 6) but he has to wait until he is 9 before he can take the Hunters Safety Course.

Another few years and I'll have a whole tree full of younguns with me!
RA

FastXD

That is great to hear

That is great to hear, hopefully he will get a big one or a little one it don't really matter. Mine is 5 and he loves to go so maybe next year he can possibly shoot one. Do the kids have to take the Safety course before they can hunt?

RedAllison

Paul in TN the laws just got changed, kinda sorta. Our Juvenile gun season used to be open only too kids 10-16 and in TN if they are 10 or over they must have passed a certified safety course. They also must be at least 9 before they can take the course in the first place. But the minimum age for the Juvenile season was moved back too 6 this year, but those 10 or older must still have taken the safety course before they can participate in the juvi hunt.

My 5 year old is gonna be my serious hunter, he is eat up with huntin and fishin already and his time will come next year I suppose (tho momma said NO, I'll have to talk her into it by then! :wink:
RA

FastXD

That is what I thought

That is what I thought, I am going to take my 5 year old on the muzzloader hunt next weekend. He would rather go hunting or be in the woods than just about anything else. I think my 2 year old will be the fisherman.